Brexit uncertainty partly blamed for collapse of Flybmi

first_imgAudioHomepage BannerNews Pinterest By News Highland – February 17, 2019 Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Brexit uncertainty partly blamed for collapse of Flybmi Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Facebook Google+ Brexit uncertainty is being partly blamed for the collapse of Flybmi.Hundreds of flights have been cancelled including flights between the City of Derry Airport and Stansted.Passengers who booked flights directly with the airline are advised to contact their card issuer to seek a refund.Last week the airport said Fly BMI’s route to London was a “key element” to its sustainability.Derry City and Strabane District Council say they have been in urgent discussions since the announcement to assess the situation and put in place measures to secure a new operator for the route as soon as possible.Councillor Sandra Duffy says not only has the announcement been a huge blow for Derry but for the whole North West region:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/duffy.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Facebook Previous articlePlans for public conveniences on Donegal’s Islands progressingNext articleRugby Review: Wins for City of Derry & Omagh in AIL News Highland center_img Twitter WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Harps come back to win in Waterford Google+ Twitter DL Debate – 24/05/21 FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Pinterest WhatsApplast_img read more

Barcelona begin spending spree with Paulinho

first_imgBarcelona new signing PaulinhoBarcelona, Spain | AFP | Barcelona made Brazilian international midfielder Paulinho their first signing since banking a world record fee for Neymar on Monday after agreeing a 40 million-euro ($47 million) fee with Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande.“Barcelona and Guangzhou Evergrande have reached an agreement for the transfer of the player Paulinho Bezerra for 40 million euros,” Barca said in a statement.The 29-year-old has signed a four-year deal with a 120 million-euro buyout clause and will be formally presented on Thursday.The announcement of Barca’s third signing of the summer transfer window after Gerard Deulofeu and Nelson Semedo came just hours after the Catalans suffered a 3-1 home defeat to Real Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup first leg on Sunday.Midfielder Sergio Busquets had put pressure on the club’s board by claiming Barca had to strengthen their squad before the transfer window closes on August 31.Barca have so far been unsuccessful in their attempts to land a more natural replacement for Neymar with huge bids for Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele being rejected by Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund respectively.“I hope you are as happy as I was there,” Neymar wrote on Instagram to wish his international teammate well.However, Paulinho’s arrival has not been warmly received by the Barca fanbase.Over 80 percent of fans urged the club not to sign him for over 20 million euros in a survey conducted by Barcelona sports daily Mundo Deportivo. That lack of enthusiasm is due to Paulinho’s chequered career at club level in Europe.After spells in Lithuania and Poland as a teenager, Paulinho moved to Tottenham Hotspur from Corinthians in 2013.Yet he failed to shine in two years in England before moving to Guangzhou in 2015 for 14 million euros.However, he has rebuilt his career in China and established himself as a regular in a rejuvenated Brazil side since the appointment of Tite as coach a year ago, most notably scoring a hat-trick in a 4-1 win away to Uruguay in World Cup qualifying back in March.And Paulinho’s former coach at Tottenham, Andre Villas-Boas, believes his move to Barca is a huge boost for the prestige of the Chinese Super League.“Because Paulinho’s come here, he’s done ever so well and now he has a transfer to one of the biggest clubs in the world,” said Shanghai SIPG coach Villas-Boas.“I think it shows that the big clubs are also looking at our league. It’s a reflection of the players and the quality of work that is being done here.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Kadaga halts discussion on Magogo suspension, awaits documents

first_imgKampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | The Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga has blocked discussions about the suspension of the Federation of Uganda Football Associations  (FUFA) President, Moses Magogo until related documents are tabled.Kadaga made the ruling after the Shadow Minister for Sports Allan Ssewanyana asked why the Ministry of Education and Sports had not responded to his petition against the resale of 2014 FIFA World Cup tickets.Ssewanyana petitioned the world football governing body, FIFA over in 2017 claiming that Magogo engaged in illicit trading of 2014 FIFA World Cup tickets that were designated for Ugandans.As a result of the petition, in a plea bargain, Magogo was fined USD 10,000 (37 million Shillings) and suspended for two months from October 10 without taking part in any national and international football-related activity.The Chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of FIFA’s Ethics Committee communicated early this month that it had ratified the plea bargain entered into by Magogo in the case related to the resale of the 2014 FIFA World Cup tickets. FUFA president Moses Magogo (centre) flanked by MP Obua and Ssewanyana, coach Micho and other FUFA officials and MPs at parliament last year. Ssewanyana wants Magogo investigated. Sewanyana is now demanding for the government’s response to his petition.However, Kadaga asked Ssewanyana to first produce the said FIFA verdict before the House can discuss the matter and before he could make any demands from the government.MPs led by Bunyole West MP James Waluswaka wondered whether Ssewanyana has the moral authority to question Magogo’s conduct as FUFA President yet he was cited as having interest in the same position and reportedly misbehaved at the July 2019 African Nations Cup held in Cairo, Egypt.Sewanyana insisted that Magogo’s suspension is a matter of national and international importance.*****URNShare on: WhatsApplast_img read more

LeBron still No. 1 with NBA’s most-popular jersey

first_imgMiami Heat’s LeBron James, right, reacts as he talks with official Michael Smith during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Indiana Pacers, Friday, April 11, 2014, in Miami. The Heat defeated the Pacers 98-86. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)MIAMI (AP) — LeBron James’ jersey remains the most popular in the NBA.The league announced Thursday that the Miami Heat star topped the list of jersey sales in the NBA for the sixth time. With teammate Dwyane Wade — whose jersey number hasn’t changed in 11 years — at No. 7, the Heat also had the top spot on the team-merchandise sales list.“It means a lot to know that I have so many fans that want to wear my jersey because they respect the way I play the game and respect who I am as a man,” James said. “Thanks so much to all that ‘Strive for Greatness.’”Kevin Durant of Oklahoma City is No. 2 on the list, followed by the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant, Chicago’s Derrick Rose, Golden State’s Stephen Curry and New York’s Carmelo Anthony.Wade was next, followed by Chris Paul of the Los Angeles Clippers, Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving, Houston’s James Harden, the Clippers’ Blake Griffin, Oklahoma City’s Russell Westbrook, Boston’s Rajon Rondo, San Antonio’s Tim Duncan and Indiana’s Paul George.It was Duncan’s first appearance on the season-ending list since 2007.Following the two-time defending champion Heat on the team-merchandise sales list were the Lakers, Bulls, Thunder and Knicks.The NBA based the rankings on overall retail sales on NBAStore.com since the start of the season. The league’s playoffs begin Saturday.last_img read more

Exclusive VIP U.S. Open Tickets Up for Auction Benefiting Local Non-Profits

first_imgSubmitted by Providence St. Peter HospitalAttending the U.S. Open is a once in a lifetime experience that could be yours through the auctioning of 5 pairs of VIP tickets.As U.S. Open officials put the finishing touches on Chambers Bay Golf Course, and WSDOT implements plans for an influx of more than 31,000 visitors per day, two local non-profits have learned they will be the beneficiaries of premiere tickets to the event.An anonymous donor has provided five pairs of tickets to South Puget Sound Community College Foundation and Providence St. Peter Foundation for auction online, and the non-profit organizations will split the proceeds equally. The tickets are a once in a lifetime opportunity to attend the U.S. Open, and are valid for Friday, June 19. The tickets gain the purchasers access to a Gold Package Private Corporate Hospitality Tent in Cascade Village on the 7th Fairway, and each pair of tickets includes one VIP parking pass. The online auction launches Wednesday, May 27 and runs through 10:00 PM on Sunday, June 7.“These tickets are the most exclusive way to attend and enjoy the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay,” says Tanya Mote, Interim Executive Director for South Puget Sound Community College Foundation. “Each ticket includes access to a hospitality tent in Cascade Village, which includes meals, drinks, and big screen televisions to watch the tournament.”South Puget Sound Community College and Providence St. Peter Hospital have been partners for many years, primarily helping students receive an education in nursing and health care-related fields providing scholarships, and — after graduation — employment and career development.Peter Brennan, Providence St. Peter Foundation Executive Director says, “Like everyone in our area, we’re delighted for the U.S. Open to come to Chambers Bay, and we’re grateful to be a recipient of this incredibly generous donation.”As Ron Read, a former USGA staff member, has written that the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay “will be the most stunning sports venue ever televised.” But the five winning bidders of these pairs of tickets will have much more than just televised access. They will get to spend an exclusive day on the fairway, while benefiting the missions of two local non-profit organizations.Learn more and start the bidding at http://www.32auctions.com/ChambersBayTickets. Facebook30Tweet0Pin0last_img read more

Coletti, Hoodikoff, Courson top Zone Men’s Qualifying tournament

first_imgJosh Coletti of Granite Pointe, Jordan Hoodikoff of Christina Lake and Don Courson, golfing out of the Castlegar course, grabbed the top prizes at the Zone One West Kootenay Men’s Qualifying Tournament Sunday in Christina Lake.Coletti and Hoodikoff each fired 8-over-par 152 to claim the top two spots on the Zone One West Kootenay Men’s Amateur team.Meanwhile, Courson edged out Ian Turner in the Senior Men’s qualifying tournament.Courson shot 163 in the 36-hole tournament that started Saturday at the Granite Pointe at Nelson course. Five players qualified for the Zone One West Kootenay Men’s team.Joining Coletti and Hoodikoff are Tanner Kopan Christina Lake, A. J. Cooper of Granite Pointe and Scott Podovelnikoff of Castlegar.Kopan and Cooper tied at 155 while Podovelnikoff was six shots off the leaders at 158.The B.C. Men’s Amateur is July 24-27 at the Swan-e-set Bay Resort in Pitt Meadows.On the Senior Men’s side of the tournament, Leif Petersen of Christina Lake, Turner of Christina Lake and Salmo’s Rick Thomas join Courson.The B.C. Senior Men’s Championship is July 16 – 18 at the Nanaimo Golf Club on Vancouver Island.last_img read more