Human rights activists arrested in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City during Olympic torch relay

first_img RSF_en April 30, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Human rights activists arrested in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City during Olympic torch relay VietnamAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders condemns the arrests of about 10 opposition activists that reportedly took place in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City today, coinciding with the Ho Chi Minh City leg of the Olympic torch relay. The government unfortunately kept its recent promise to crack down on “hostile forces always ready to disturb the peace.””The government must release the people who were arrested in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City for peacefully demonstrating for an improvement in the human rights situation in Vietnam and China,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The behaviour of the police is evidence of the government’s intransigence towards any form of criticism, and of its desire not to upset its powerful Chinese neighbour despite their territorial disputes.”Two dissidents were arrested in Hanoi while protesting against the Beijing Olympic Games. They were Nguyen Xuan Nghia, a representative of the Bloc 8406 pro-democracy group in Haiphong, and Vu Hung, a teacher. Uniformed police quickly arrested them outside the Dong Xuan market when they unfurled a “Beijing 2008” flag with the Reporters Without Borders graphic of the Olympic rings transformed into handcuffs. April 7, 2021 Find out more Organisation RSF laureates support jailed Vietnamese journalist Pham Doan Trang News Receive email alerts Follow the news on Vietnam News Commenting on their arrest, Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said: “We would like to point that these two people are not members of our organisation but we support their peaceful demonstration.”There was a heavy police presence outside both the Dong Xuan market and the Chinese embassy, and onlookers and foreign journalists were forced to leave the area.At least eight others dissidents, Vi Duc Hoi, Phan Thanh Nghien, Le Thi Kim Thu, Tran Duc Thach, Do Duy Thong, Nguyen Ba Dang, Nguyeng Van Tuc et Monieur Chau, are also known to have been arrested today in Hanoi, while two more, one of them wearing a Reporters Without Borders T-shirt, were arrested in Ho Chi Minh City. A group of a students was also arrested in Ho Chi Minh City a few days before the torch relay.The outlawed party Viet Tan announced that about 12 of activists were arrested in different parts of the country.Nguyen Hoang Hai, an independent journalist who is better known by his blogging pseudonym of Dieu Cay, was arrested on 19 April in the southern city of Dalat. He had participated in protests against Chinese policy in Ho Chi Minh City earlier this year.A territorial dispute between China and Vietnam over the Spratly Islands and Paracel Islands in the South China Sea has prompted a great deal of criticism that is not limited to opposition groups. But calls for demonstrations in Hanoi posted on the blogs of government opponents appear not to have been heeded.Prime Minister Nguyn Tan Dung called on 20 April for “absolute security” during the Olympic torch relay in Ho Chi Minh City and said no incident would be tolerated. Describing the relay as “testimony of the special friendship between Vietnam and China,” he warned against the “hostile forces” that might be tempted to try to disrupt it. April 27, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information to go further Vietnam sentences journalist Tran Thi Tuyet Dieu to eight years in prison Three more independent reporters arrested in Vietnam VietnamAsia – Pacific News News April 22, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

1,285 people with Covid-19 being treated in hospital this morning

first_img Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Twitter Facebook Facebook Community Enhancement Programme open for applications 1,285 people with Covid-19 being treated in hospital this morning 1,285 people with Covid-19 are being treated in hospital this morning, an increase of 132 since yesterday.There are 107 patients with the virus in ICU.It comes as the more highly transmissible South African variant has been identified in Ireland.The first three cases of the strain were confirmed here yesterday, along with a record 8,248 new cases of Covid-19.Dr Cillian de Gascun, director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory, says vaccines may not be fully effective in combating the South African variant:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Virus10am1.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. WhatsApp Pinterest AudioHomepage BannerNews Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORcenter_img Google+ Previous articleGardai seize an estimated €105,000 of suspected cocaine in LiffordNext articlePolice say shooting of man in Creggan last night is ‘barbaric’ News Highland Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic WhatsApp By News Highland – January 9, 2021 Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Pinterest Google+last_img read more

Hamilton’s Renee Elise Goldsberry Praises B’way’s Powerful Women

first_img Hamilton View Comments Renée Elise Goldsberry Related Shows Renée Elise Goldsberrycenter_img from $149.00 Star Files Look around, look around at how lucky we are to be alive right now! There is a robust roster of wonderful tuners and plays on the Main Stem and a delightfully diverse community of performers making Broadway soar. Hamilton Tony nominee and Broadway.com Audience Choice Award winner Renée Elise Goldsberry stopped by The Today Show on May 19 to give it up to the ladies rocking the Great White Way. “I am so proud of the diversity, not only just racially, but of the powerful women that are being portrayed right now,” Goldsberry said. Not satisfied? Watch the full interview below!last_img read more

Fugitive Model Agency CEO Nabbed in Fla.

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York James MunizThe fugitive CEO of a Hicksville-based modeling agency accused of defrauding dozens of clients out of more than $250,000 was apprehended Tuesday in Florida and is facing extradition back to Long Island.James Muniz, who prosecutors said was staying with relatives in Hialeah, Fla., is facing 21 charges in Nassau County, including 20 counts of grand larceny and one count of scheme to defraud.Three of the 44-year-old Roslyn man’s employees had surrendered to authorities last month on similar charges. They include 26-year-old Jennifer Santiago of Queens, 31-year-old Jennifer Diaz-Domenech of Brooklyn and 42-year-old Michelle Alperin-Smith of Nesconset.Prosecutors alleged Muniz’s company, New Faces Development Center, Inc. and Model Talent Development Corp., which closed in November, had scouts tell victims they had the “look” to succeed in modeling or acting, would not be charged for the companies’ services and that only a few were offered such opportunities through the agencies—but scouts signed up anyone who’d pay for contracts costing $550 to $3,000. Both companies are facing the same charges as the four suspects.The New York Attorney General’s office, which sued New Faces for $250,000 in restitution in 2006 when it was owned by Muniz’ ex-wife, opened a new investigation into the company last year before the case was consolidated with a similar probe by the Nassau County District Attorney’s office.Muniz is being held in a Miami-Dade County jail until he is extradited to New York. He and the three employees face up to seven years in prison, if convicted. Each company faces fines of up to $10,000, plus possible restitution.Since the arrests were announced, investigators have received about 300 phone calls from other clients of the modeling agency, leading to 85 formal complaints that are now being reviewed.The investigation is continuing, and anyone who thinks they may have been similarly victimized should contact DA Rice’s Complaints Unit at 516-571-3505 or the Attorney General’s Office at 516-248-3301.last_img read more

Why mention race in Union College presidency?

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionRe Feb. 21 article, “Union College introduces new leader”: Let’s stop with the firsts.Union College appoints a well-qualified and distinguished man as its next president and what is your lead take on it? “Dr. David Harris will be the first African-American …” Seriously?I think the picture would lead us to believe that he is black. How about leading with his job record, accomplishments, preparation? No, jump right to race. Not only is that divisive, but in a way cheapens his accomplishment. Was he the best candidate in the field (I would imagine he was) or was he the best black candidate?Martin Luther King Jr. wanted us to move to a place where a person is judged on the content of his character, not the color of his skin. You led with the latter when the former would have served everyone better.John MetalloSlingerlandsMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusAlbany County warns of COVID increaseFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?last_img read more

I was in best of forms before Tokyo Paralympics was postponed — Powerlifter Ejike

first_imgRelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 COVID-19 vaccine will not be available before mid-2021 – German minister Powerlifting legend Lucy Ejike on Friday said she was physically fit and in top form before the postponed Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.Ejike told the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja, following the long period of inactivity due to the coronavirus pandemic, that she was however yet to resume her gym sessions. The three-times Paralympics gold medalist said she has been training at home since the lockdown to keep fit.“I have been training at home since the lockdown and now that the lockdown is relaxed, I am still training at home and yet to resume gym sessions,” she said.Ejike however said she did not want to push herself into any vigorous training at the moment.She said: “I don’t want to do that because I have not been training consistently due to the COVID-19.“But I still know that this length of inactivity will not deter me. “In a few months time, I will get back to my peak.”The 42-year-old said she was at her best form before the lockdown in preparation for the postponed Tokyo 2020 Games.Ejike, who won a gold medal in the women’s up-to-61kg category at the World Para-Powerlifting World Cup in Abuja in February, said she was reserving her energy for the Tokyo Games.“That is where I am looking forward to breaking more records,” she said.The Paralympic Games earlier scheduled to begin in August 2020 has been postponed to August 2021 in Tokyo due to the COVID-19 pandemic. NAN.Tags: CoronavirusLucy EjikeTokyo Paralympicslast_img read more