Democratic Party declares support for Jokowi’s son in Surakarta mayoral race

first_imgRead also: PDI-P may pair Gibran and Achmad for Surakarta mayoral raceMeanwhile, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), National Awakening Party’s (PKB) and United Development Party (PPP) have also openly showed their support for Gibran’s election bid.Gibran is not the only presidential relative gearing up to run the upcoming regional elections – Jokowi’s son-in-law Bobby Nasution is also seeking support for his own mayoral bid in Medan, North Sumatra.Gibran and Bobby’s planned runs have triggered concerns that the former Surakarta mayor is building up a political dynasty, an accusation that Jokowi has denied. (hol) Read also: Jokowi vows he ‘won’t be campaigning’ for son, son-in-law in upcoming mayoral races Topics : The Surakarta chapter of the Democratic Party has declared its support for President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s eldest son, Gibran Rakabuming Raka, in the upcoming Surakarta mayoral election in Central Java. Supriyanto, the head of the Democratic Party’s Surakarta chapter, said the party decided to back Gibran because he was a young figure who they believed could carry out programs quickly and on target.“We support him unconditionally, because we want a fresh government,” Supriyanto said on Wednesday as quoted by kompas.com.center_img He said that former president and Democratic Party chairman Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono had also expressed his support for Gibran through the party’s Central Java provincial chapter.“We have given assurances to the people of Surakarta that Gibran is capable of leading the Surakarta administration,” Supriyanto added.Interviewed separately, Gibran said he would take all the help that he could get. “I welcome all the support, from the parties, volunteers, citizens and everyone,” Gibran said.Besides the Democrats, Gibran has also courted the support of his father’s Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), which is considering pairing Gibran and Surakarta Deputy Mayor Achmad Purnomo, who had been tabbed as the party’s nominee before Gibran threw his hat into the ring.last_img read more

More Bacolod village execs charged over SAP

first_imgThey were facing charges for violation of Republic Act (RA) 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, RA 6713 or the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees, and RA 11469 or the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act, according to Chief Master Sergeant Ramiro Gocotano, officer-in-charge of CIDG-Bacolod City Field Unit. BY DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGA Earlier this month, the CIDG-Bacolod also charged 11 officials of Barangay Mandalagan before the City Prosecutor’s Office for similar violations./PN BACOLOD City – The village captain of Mansilingan and nine other officials face criminal charges related to the distribution of the emergency cash assistance under the national government’s Social Amelioration Program (SAP). He believed that charges against him were “politically motivated.” Last week, four complainants – Roy Jesus Giua, Benggie Debuyan, Marites Castillo, and Maria Cecilia Tan – lodged a joint affidavit before Assistant City Prosecutor Allan Vir Gumahin.center_img Four complainants reported to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG)-Bacolod City Field Unit alleging that the selection of SAP beneficiaries in Barangay Mansilingan was manipulated to favor certain relatives and close associates of the respondents. The barangay captain explained that all beneficiaries underwent proper screening, and even sought the help of the city’s Department of Social Services and Development (DSSD) to assign DSWD personnel to screen the beneficiaries. Charged before the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office by the CIDG were Barangay Captain Rodolfo Pico, barangay secretary Edward Menesis, purok presidents Julius Villaflor and Victorious Christally Valenzuela, purok kagawads Gina Gilbor, Amelita Mondejar, Gregorio Beniten, Lourdes Palma and Anabelle Javier, and Mercedes Rory Capunong. Pico, for his part, denied the allegations. He pointed out that he only followed protocols issued of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).last_img read more

Man City’s 8 as Spurs rue VAR

first_imgMan City hit eight in Watford demolition, Spurs rocked by LeicesterLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City powered to their record Premier League win as the champions scored five times within 18 first half minutes of an incredible 8-0 thrashing of Watford, while Leicester enjoyed a VAR-assisted 2-1 victory over Tottenham on Saturday.Inspired by Bernardo Silva’s hat-trick, Pep Guardiola’s side ripped woeful Watford to pieces at the Etihad Stadium, eclipsing a 7-0 success against Norwich in 2013 which stood as their previous biggest top-flight win.Although City fell one goal short of equalling the biggest Premier League margin of victory — Manchester United’s 9-0 demolition of Ipswich in 1995 — their swaggering display was the perfect way to erase the bitter taste from last weekend’s shock defeat at Norwich.Second-placed City move to within two points of leaders Liverpool, who face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.“When you shoot on target five times for five goals — the quality of players we had made the difference,” Guardiola said.“What I like the most is normally when it’s 5-0 at half time the second half is not serious, it’s boring but we did the opposite and we were more aggressive and made a very good second half.“People still don’t understand, journalists, pundits, former players, losing games is part of life. We can lose the games but the important thing is the approach and how we react.”City had crushed Watford 6-0 in last season’s FA Cup final and they picked up where they left off at Wembley by ending the match as a contest less than halfway through the opening period.David Silva tapped home the opener seconds after kick-off, before Sergio Aguero coolly doubled their lead from the spot six minutes later.Making light of winger Raheem Sterling’s absence, they made it three in the 12th minute when Riyad Mahrez’s free-kick hit Tom Cleverley in the head and deflected past Watford stopper Ben Foster.Bernardo scored his first of the game in the 15th minute and Nicolas Otamendi ended the first-half scoring shortly afterwards, before Portuguese Bernardo bagged his treble within 15 minutes of the restart and Kevin De Bruyne completed the thrashing late on. – Leicester on the rise –At the King Power Stadium, Leicester proved their credentials to gatecrash the top four as they came from behind to beat Tottenham.Harry’s Kane’s improvised 29th-minute opener as he stumbled before flicking home put Tottenham ahead.However, the game swung Leicester’s way after Spurs defender Serge Aurier’s goal midway through the second half was ruled out for the finest of offsides by VAR.The hosts built on that immediately as Ricardo Pereira equalised before James Maddison struck the winner from long range five minutes from time.Tottenham have now won just two of their first seven games of the season in all competitions and Mauricio Pochettino admitted the VAR controversy had played a role in their latest flop.Pochettino bemoaned the momentum swing given to Leicester by the long stoppage in play prior to Aurier’s strike being ruled out for a marginal offside against Son Heung-min.“The emotion of the game changed. The belief it gave to Leicester made things happen differently in the last 10 minutes,” Pochettino said.“I’m only going to say that we all accept that system in the game and now I am not going to complain.”Burnley beat Norwich 2-0 at Turf Moor, with New Zealand striker Chris Wood scoring in the 10th and 14th minutes.Sheffield United piled pressure on Everton manager Marco Silva, whose side were booed off after a 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park, the damage done by Yerry Mina’s 40th-minute own goal and Lys Mousset’s 79th-minute strike.Struggling Newcastle were also subjected to jeers after a goalless draw against Brighton at St James’ Park, which featured large swathes of empty seats as fans turned their backs on a team with only one win this season.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Champions League last 16 fixtures

first_imgLyon (FRA) v Juventus (ITA)Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) v Leipzig (GER)Napoli (ITA) v Barcelona (ESP)— First legs to be played on February 18/19/25/26— Second legs scheduled for March 10/11/17/18 Nyon, Switzerland | AFP | Full draw for the Champions League last 16 made on Monday:Borussia Dortmund (GER) v Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)Real Madrid (ESP) v Manchester City (ENG)Atalanta (ITA) v Valencia (ESP)Atletico Madrid (ESP) v Liverpool (ENG)Chelsea (ENG) v Bayern Munich (GER) Share on: WhatsAppcenter_img PHOTO via @ChampionsLeaguelast_img read more

Stokes Accepts Presidency Of South Puget Sound Community College

first_imgFacebook0Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by South Puget Sound Community CollegeOLYMPIA — Dr. Timothy Stokes will be the next president of South Puget Sound Community College.  Stokes accepted the job offer, which was extended by unanimous vote of the college’s Board of Trustees during its Dec. 14, 2012, meeting.  He will assume the post Feb. 1, 2013.“We are delighted Dr. Stokes will be leading our college,” said Board of Trustees Chair Judy Blinn. “He is a strong, energetic leader, who is committed to community engagement and is passionate about student success. The college is in a great position for a bright future in service to the community. The Trustees know Dr. Stokes is the perfect leader to help take the institution there.”Stokes currently serves as executive vice president for Academic and Student Affairs at Tacoma Community College.  Prior to his tenure at Tacoma, Stokes served as vice president for Student Learning at Texas State Technical College and executive director of the Southwest Arkansas Technology Learning Center at Henderson State University.  He holds a Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration from the University of Arkansas, a M.A. in Political Science/Public Administration from the University of Arkansas, and a B.A. in English from Lyon College.“I’m honored to be leading such a well-regarded institution,” said Stokes.  “South Puget Sound has an amazing faculty and staff, strong community support, and a steadfast and engaged Board of Trustees, who have welcomed me so graciously.  The college has a great future, and I’m excited to be part of this community and to begin the work of moving the college forward, together.”Stokes will succeed current College President Gerald Pumphrey, who will retire after more than 6 years at the college.“I look forward to working with Dr. Stokes during the transition,” said Pumphrey. “I wish him the best in bringing new vision and new leadership to the college.last_img read more