Zinedine Zidane: Nothing has changed with Gareth Bale despite rescuing Real Madrid

first_imgZinedine Zidane praised Gareth Bale’s goalscoring performance against Arsenal but insisted nothing had changed with the Real Madrid outcast.Bale came off the bench to rescue Madrid, who trailed 2-0 at halftime before the Wales star scored to inspire a 2-2 draw at the International Champions Cup, where Zidane’s men prevailed 3-2 on penalties. “He is with us and we will continue working. We play well 10 against 11 and better 10 against 10. I don’t know what will happen. He wanted to play and the other day no.”I haven’t talked to him. He has trained normally and that’s why he played. Nothing has changed, you know what the situation is like.” FT: @RealMadrid 2-2 @Arsenal (3-2 pens) @GarethBale11 56′, @marcoasensio10 59′; Lacazette 10′ (p), Aubameyang 24’#Emirates | #RealMadridIsHere pic.twitter.com/Gu0KP4YqoV— Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadriden) July 24, 2019Bale stole the show in the second half at FedEx Field, where Marco Asensio also impressed before he left the field on a stretcher. Gareth Bale’s agent slams ‘disgrace’ Zinedine Zidane after Madrid transfer revelation Substitute Asensio equalized three minutes after Bale reduced the deficit in the 56th minute against Arsenal, who had Sokratis Papastathopoulos sent off for a second yellow card prior to the interval.However, Asensio’s game was abruptly cut short by an apparent knee injury and Zidane revealed he is very concerned.”It’s worrisome,” Zidane said. “Hopefully not, but he’s gone directly to the hospital to test. It looks bad.” Tipped to leave Madrid, Bale sat out last week’s loss to Bayern Munich, but he was surprisingly involved in Maryland after Zidane claimed the 30-year-old was close to departing the Santiago Bernabeu.Asked about Bale’s performance on Tuesday, head coach Zidane — who saw Nacho Fernandez sent off in the ninth minute for a handball — told reporters: “He has played a good game and I am happy for him. As for everyone. Related Newslast_img read more

Man City’s 8 as Spurs rue VAR

first_imgMan City hit eight in Watford demolition, Spurs rocked by LeicesterLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City powered to their record Premier League win as the champions scored five times within 18 first half minutes of an incredible 8-0 thrashing of Watford, while Leicester enjoyed a VAR-assisted 2-1 victory over Tottenham on Saturday.Inspired by Bernardo Silva’s hat-trick, Pep Guardiola’s side ripped woeful Watford to pieces at the Etihad Stadium, eclipsing a 7-0 success against Norwich in 2013 which stood as their previous biggest top-flight win.Although City fell one goal short of equalling the biggest Premier League margin of victory — Manchester United’s 9-0 demolition of Ipswich in 1995 — their swaggering display was the perfect way to erase the bitter taste from last weekend’s shock defeat at Norwich.Second-placed City move to within two points of leaders Liverpool, who face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.“When you shoot on target five times for five goals — the quality of players we had made the difference,” Guardiola said.“What I like the most is normally when it’s 5-0 at half time the second half is not serious, it’s boring but we did the opposite and we were more aggressive and made a very good second half.“People still don’t understand, journalists, pundits, former players, losing games is part of life. We can lose the games but the important thing is the approach and how we react.”City had crushed Watford 6-0 in last season’s FA Cup final and they picked up where they left off at Wembley by ending the match as a contest less than halfway through the opening period.David Silva tapped home the opener seconds after kick-off, before Sergio Aguero coolly doubled their lead from the spot six minutes later.Making light of winger Raheem Sterling’s absence, they made it three in the 12th minute when Riyad Mahrez’s free-kick hit Tom Cleverley in the head and deflected past Watford stopper Ben Foster.Bernardo scored his first of the game in the 15th minute and Nicolas Otamendi ended the first-half scoring shortly afterwards, before Portuguese Bernardo bagged his treble within 15 minutes of the restart and Kevin De Bruyne completed the thrashing late on. – Leicester on the rise –At the King Power Stadium, Leicester proved their credentials to gatecrash the top four as they came from behind to beat Tottenham.Harry’s Kane’s improvised 29th-minute opener as he stumbled before flicking home put Tottenham ahead.However, the game swung Leicester’s way after Spurs defender Serge Aurier’s goal midway through the second half was ruled out for the finest of offsides by VAR.The hosts built on that immediately as Ricardo Pereira equalised before James Maddison struck the winner from long range five minutes from time.Tottenham have now won just two of their first seven games of the season in all competitions and Mauricio Pochettino admitted the VAR controversy had played a role in their latest flop.Pochettino bemoaned the momentum swing given to Leicester by the long stoppage in play prior to Aurier’s strike being ruled out for a marginal offside against Son Heung-min.“The emotion of the game changed. The belief it gave to Leicester made things happen differently in the last 10 minutes,” Pochettino said.“I’m only going to say that we all accept that system in the game and now I am not going to complain.”Burnley beat Norwich 2-0 at Turf Moor, with New Zealand striker Chris Wood scoring in the 10th and 14th minutes.Sheffield United piled pressure on Everton manager Marco Silva, whose side were booed off after a 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park, the damage done by Yerry Mina’s 40th-minute own goal and Lys Mousset’s 79th-minute strike.Struggling Newcastle were also subjected to jeers after a goalless draw against Brighton at St James’ Park, which featured large swathes of empty seats as fans turned their backs on a team with only one win this season.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

NBL Finals: Okello, Ndikumana guide city oilers past UCU canons

first_imgThe first team to win four games takes the best of seven championships. In the women’s category JKL Lady Dolphins who lost on Wednesday to UCU Lady canons also made a strong statement to tie the series at 1-1. JKL won the game 60-56. The two teams face off on Sunday for game three at the Lugogo MTN Arena.*****URNShare on: WhatsApp Oilers face UCU in game threeKampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT  |  Defending Champions of the National Basketball League, City Oil stopped Uganda Christian University (UCU) Canons 79-72 on Friday night to tie the finals series 1-1.On Wednesday UCU beat the odds to stop City Oil despite Coach Nicholas Natuhereza and Centre David Kongor Deng’s ejection from the game.However in thrilling game played at the Lugogo MTN Arena, Oilers centre Landry Ndikuma dropped 27 points, 7 rebounds and 2 assists, while James Okello added 28 points and 11 rebounds to give City Oil a comfortable win.      UCU led the first quarter 24-16 before Oilers led the second quarter 22-20. A slow play by the UCU side saw them trail with  a big gap of 20-11 against the defending champions in the third quarter.Oilers continued their lead in the last quarter to win it 21-17. Titus Lual and David Kongor’s 15 points each could not save the Mukono based side from the loss. The win for Oilers now means the finals series is tied at 1-1 and the two teams are headed for game three on Sunday.last_img read more

English quartet given Curtis Cup boost

first_img Tags: Annabell Fuller, Bel Wardle, Curtis Cup, Emily Toy, Lily May Humphreys Four English players have been named in Great Britain and Ireland’s initial squad for next year’s Curtis Cup at Conwy in Wales.Roehampton’s Annabell Fuller, Lily May Humphreys from Stoke by Nayland, Emily Toy from Carylon Bay (pictured above) and Prestbury’s Bel Wardle have all been included in captain Elaine Ratcliffe’s preliminary squad.There are three players from Ireland in the pool – Olivia Mehaffey from Royal County Down, Julie McCarthy from Forrest Little and Lurgan’s Annabel Wilson.Scottish trio Hannah Darling of Broomieknowe, Hazel MacGarvie playing out of Royal Troon and Shannon McWilliam from Aboyne complete the line-up.Toy, Darling, Wilson, McGarvey, McCarthy and Wardle are all potential Curtis Cup debutants. Humphreys and Fuller represented Europe in the recent Ping Junior Solheim Cup on the King’s course at Gleneagles.Humphreys, Wardle and Toy were also part of the GB & I team for this year’s Vagliano Trophy match against the Continent of Europe at Royal St George’s.“We have a strong pool of players to choose from throughout GB & I and I’m delighted with the ten players in the initial squad,” said Ratcliffe.“Each player’s performances and results will be monitored closely over the coming months and we will be looking for each of them to maintain a high standard as they try to secure their places in the team.“There are many other talented players who can be added to this squad over the next few months,” she added.The final Curtis Cup team is due to be announced on May 11, 2020 and will include the two golfers place highest on the Women’s World Amateur Ranking. They are currently Mehaffey and Humphreys.A further six players will be selected by the R&A Women’s Selection. Up to four non-travelling reserves will also be announced.The 41st Curtis Cup match will be played from Friday June 12 to Sunday June 14 at Conwy where GB & I will be bidding to regain the trophy after last year’s 17-3 defeat in the United States.Photograph credit: Leaderboard 17 Sep 2019 English quartet given Curtis Cup boost last_img read more

Exclusive VIP U.S. Open Tickets Up for Auction Benefiting Local Non-Profits

first_imgSubmitted by Providence St. Peter HospitalAttending the U.S. Open is a once in a lifetime experience that could be yours through the auctioning of 5 pairs of VIP tickets.As U.S. Open officials put the finishing touches on Chambers Bay Golf Course, and WSDOT implements plans for an influx of more than 31,000 visitors per day, two local non-profits have learned they will be the beneficiaries of premiere tickets to the event.An anonymous donor has provided five pairs of tickets to South Puget Sound Community College Foundation and Providence St. Peter Foundation for auction online, and the non-profit organizations will split the proceeds equally. The tickets are a once in a lifetime opportunity to attend the U.S. Open, and are valid for Friday, June 19. The tickets gain the purchasers access to a Gold Package Private Corporate Hospitality Tent in Cascade Village on the 7th Fairway, and each pair of tickets includes one VIP parking pass. The online auction launches Wednesday, May 27 and runs through 10:00 PM on Sunday, June 7.“These tickets are the most exclusive way to attend and enjoy the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay,” says Tanya Mote, Interim Executive Director for South Puget Sound Community College Foundation. “Each ticket includes access to a hospitality tent in Cascade Village, which includes meals, drinks, and big screen televisions to watch the tournament.”South Puget Sound Community College and Providence St. Peter Hospital have been partners for many years, primarily helping students receive an education in nursing and health care-related fields providing scholarships, and — after graduation — employment and career development.Peter Brennan, Providence St. Peter Foundation Executive Director says, “Like everyone in our area, we’re delighted for the U.S. Open to come to Chambers Bay, and we’re grateful to be a recipient of this incredibly generous donation.”As Ron Read, a former USGA staff member, has written that the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay “will be the most stunning sports venue ever televised.” But the five winning bidders of these pairs of tickets will have much more than just televised access. They will get to spend an exclusive day on the fairway, while benefiting the missions of two local non-profit organizations.Learn more and start the bidding at http://www.32auctions.com/ChambersBayTickets. Facebook30Tweet0Pin0last_img read more