Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The Angels ended up turning a morning workout into an optional afternoon workout, with only about a dozen players actually working out on the field at Angel Stadium.Manager Joe Maddon said it was prudent to simply allow most of the players to stay home because of the uncertainty, but he did not sound concerned that there was a larger issue with the testing.“I believe this will be a short lived situation,” Maddon said Monday. “I think it has a lot to do with the Fourth of July. That’s my opinion. I want to believe that everything will get straightened out relatively soon. I have not lost any confidence.”As MLB attempts to forge ahead with a season amid the coronavirus pandemic, all players are supposed to be tested at least every 48 hours. The tests are administered by an outside company, which runs them through a lab in Salt Lake City.On Sunday, the testers did not arrive at either Angel Stadium or Long Beach State’s Blair Field, the alternate site the Angels are using for many of their players. The Angels instead collected the saliva samples with their own staff. Their workout on Monday had been scheduled to start at 9 a.m., but on Sunday night it was pushed back to noon and then on Monday morning it was pushed back to 1 p.m and changed to optional. As of Monday morning, they were expecting testers to be present on Monday. They will continue to work out later in the day to allow more time for the test results to be logged.Teams began reporting for summer camp last Wednesday, a process that involved extensive testing of all players and staffers who work closely with players. In order to participate, a person must receive a negative test for coronavirus.Many players throughout the majors have been absent from camps so far, and only a fraction of those have actually been reported to have positive tests. Many others are presumably still awaiting results, or awaiting results of tests from family members.So far different teams appear to be having different issues with the logistics of the testing.The A’s had a batch of their samples still awaiting transportation to Salt Lake City, apparently delayed because of the holiday. The Nationals, Astros and Cardinals canceled their workout on Monday because they hadn’t received the results of tests taken on Friday. The Diamondbacks delayed the start of their workout on Monday.The New York Yankees also apparently took the saliva samples themselves on Sunday when no tester showed up, but they did not alter their workout schedule.“The process has not been without some unforeseen difficulties, which are being addressed with the service providers that are essential to the execution of the protocols,” the MLB statement said. “It is important to be mindful that nearly all of the individuals have been tested as planned. The health and safety of our players and employees will remain our highest priorities.”Maddon said he had not heard any complaints from Angels players, despite the issue on Sunday.“I didn’t have one guy come up to me yesterday complaining about anything,” Maddon said. “So I didn’t look for it. Today so far, nobody has contacted me.”GAME TIME … SORT OFThe Angels are scheduled for their first intrasquad game on Tuesday. Andrew Heaney and Shohei Ohtani will be the two starting pitchers, with Heaney throwing about four innings and Ohtani working two or three, Manager Joe Maddon said.Maddon said the game will also include most of the everyday players, although there won’t necessarily be two lineups or traditional innings. For example, Maddon said they may have coaches playing the outfield. Hitters will get as many at-bats as they need.“You want to make sure the varsity feels good about themselves by the time they leave,” Maddo said. “They will get plenty of opportunity on the field. Right now that we’re unable to bring other teams in and play normal competitive baseball, this is the best way to get things done.”The Angels are scheduled to have some sort of intrasquad game just about every day for the next couple weeks.ALSOMaddon said he had no updates on any of the players who have not yet begun workouts, the most prominent of which is Julio Teheran. Teams are prohibited from giving information about coronavirus-related absences without the player’s consent. Players also could be missing simply because they haven’t yet received results. A day after officials contracted by Major League Baseball failed to show up to administer the Angels’ coronavirus tests, the team twice delayed its workouts to accommodate the tests.At least five other teams — the Arizona Diamondbacks, Oakland A’s, Houston Astros, St. Louis Cardinals and Washington Nationals — have had workouts delayed or canceled because of logistical issues with testing in the past 24 hours.MLB released a statement on Monday afternoon acknowledging issues with the testing.“We have addressed the delays caused by the holiday weekend and do not expect a recurrence,” the statement said. “We commend the affected Clubs that responded properly by cancelling workouts.”
Wellington Police notes: Thursday, February 25, 2016â€¢7:40 a.m. Sara H. Wilson, WF, 27, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for expired driversâ€™ license.â€¢8:18 a.m. Jeffrey S. Elmore, 34, Belle Plaine, was issued a notice to appear for speeding 52 mph in a 40 mph zone.â€¢11:15 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of tools in the 700 block N. Jefferson, Wellington.â€¢Donna S. Frambers, 53, Wellington was served a summons to appear for assault. â€¢Adriene L. Guthrie, 19, Wellington was served a summons to appear for theft.â€¢Abby M. Martinez, 19, Wellington was served a summons to appear for theft.â€¢3 p.m. Injury accident in the 1000 block U.S. 81, Wellington involving vehicles operated by Jeffrey M. Miller, 31, Wellington and Ricky R. Copeland, 60, Wichita.â€¢3:30 p.m. Jeffrey M. Miller, 31, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for inattentive driving.â€¢4:37 p.m. Grady L. Woodard, 18, Maize, was issued a notice to appear for speeding 61 mph in a 45 mph zone.â€¢Michael A. Row, 27, Wellington was served a summons to appear for domestic battery and criminal trespass. (REF#16-118)â€¢9:28 p.m. Juvenile male, 17, Belle Plaine, was issued a notice to appear for defective headlight.â€¢11:05 p.m. Lauri L. Frazee, 44, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for defective headlight and no proof of insurance.â€¢11:25 p.m. Victoria G. Jackson, 36, Wellington was issued a notice to appear forÂ defective headlight.
Kampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | The Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga has blocked discussions about the suspension of the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) President, Moses Magogo until related documents are tabled.Kadaga made the ruling after the Shadow Minister for Sports Allan Ssewanyana asked why the Ministry of Education and Sports had not responded to his petition against the resale of 2014 FIFA World Cup tickets.Ssewanyana petitioned the world football governing body, FIFA over in 2017 claiming that Magogo engaged in illicit trading of 2014 FIFA World Cup tickets that were designated for Ugandans.As a result of the petition, in a plea bargain, Magogo was fined USD 10,000 (37 million Shillings) and suspended for two months from October 10 without taking part in any national and international football-related activity.The Chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of FIFA’s Ethics Committee communicated early this month that it had ratified the plea bargain entered into by Magogo in the case related to the resale of the 2014 FIFA World Cup tickets. FUFA president Moses Magogo (centre) flanked by MP Obua and Ssewanyana, coach Micho and other FUFA officials and MPs at parliament last year. Ssewanyana wants Magogo investigated. Sewanyana is now demanding for the government’s response to his petition.However, Kadaga asked Ssewanyana to first produce the said FIFA verdict before the House can discuss the matter and before he could make any demands from the government.MPs led by Bunyole West MP James Waluswaka wondered whether Ssewanyana has the moral authority to question Magogo’s conduct as FUFA President yet he was cited as having interest in the same position and reportedly misbehaved at the July 2019 African Nations Cup held in Cairo, Egypt.Sewanyana insisted that Magogo’s suspension is a matter of national and international importance.*****URNShare on: WhatsApp