LATEST STORIES View comments She also spoke about her father, Richard Williams, and his upcoming induction into the American Tennis Association’s Hall of Fame. Williams coached Serena and her fellow champion sister, Venus, from when they were children until they were winning titles as adults.“That’s really wonderful and I know he is really excited about that and I am, too,” she said. “I was just with him yesterday and we talked about it. It was great.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial Williams says being the mother of an infant daughter makes the issue more important to her.“This could be something that my daughter could face and that’s not cool,” she said at a Purple Purse event. “I want her to know that she can always talk to me, and talk to other people. That maybe she doesn’t have a voice, maybe she can’t use her voice, but we can be her voice, we can support her in so many different ways,” Williams said.Williams was pregnant with 9-month-old Olympia Ohanian when she won the Australian Open in January 2017. She returned to Grand Slam play last month at the French Open but had to withdraw after reaching the fourth round due to a pectoral chest injury.Williams says she anticipates being healthy for next month’s Wimbledon tournament.“Oh that’s a plan, absolutely, absolutely, and I’ve been working toward it,” she said.ADVERTISEMENT Clippers come out of NBA Draft 1st round with new-look backcourt MOST READ Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Professional tennis player Serena Williams appears at an event to launch a national street art campaign with Allstate Foundation Purple Purse to make domestic violence and financial abuse visible, at TicTail Market on Wednesday, June 20, 2018, in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)NEW YORK — Serena Williams says the conversation about stopping domestic abuse shouldn’t just center around women, but men as well.The tennis superstar says education about domestic abuse should start when men are young boys.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina “I think expanding the conversation to men and expanding the conversation to young boys, it’s so important,” she said in an interview on Wednesday.“This is a human rights issue. We should all be treated the same. We should be treated equal. With domestic abuse, it doesn’t care what color you are, what background you’re from,” she continued.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“It’s important to get the message out there — to our young men, to our boys, to our daughters — to let that new generation, and let the generation now know that, let’s stop this. Let’s change this. Let’s create a better us.”The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion is the ambassador for the Allstate Foundation Purple Purse initiative, which aims to help stop domestic abuse and what it calls the financial abuse that can accompany such relationships. Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Listening is important and reading is essential. These are just a few lessons Lidudumalingani Mqombothi gained on his journey as a writer. He won the 17th annual Caine Prize for African Writing for his short story Memories We Lost earlier this month.Mqombothi believes he is a vessel, an instrument to tell precious stories. When he was asked if Memories We Lost is an African story, he replies: “I do not know what that [African story] even means. It is important to tell stories that might appear African or even South African. We should not make the mistake of thinking our experiences are uniquely South African.”Mqombothi received his prize, £10 000 (about R188 000) at a ceremony at the Bodleian Library at Oxford University. He told BBC Africa that a conversation with a South African friend inspired him to write Memories We Lost.“My friend was trying to write a series of poems about her father who has Alzheimer’s. That was two years ago. Since then I would find myself either reading or watching something about mental illness.” Shortly thereafter he says the opportunity came to write a story about the illness.Memories We Lost“The winning story explores a difficult subject – how traditional beliefs in a rural community are used to tackle schizophrenia,” said chair of judges Delia Jarrett-Macauley. “Multi-layered, and gracefully narrated, this short story leaves the reader full of sympathy and wonder at the plight of its protagonists”.Memories We Lost details the heart wrenching story of two sisters and how they deal with the mental anguish one endures. The narrator speaks of “This Thing” that sometimes transforms her sister, making her do bad things, and causes her physical and emotional pain. She remembers her sister dropping out of school. The reader also finds out about the false impressions villagers have about “This Thing”.This short story is published in the Incredible Journey: Stories That Move You by the Burnet Media, South Africa, 2015 edition.Listen to Mqombothi’s story here:Mqombothi grew up in the Zikhovane Village in Transkei in the Eastern Cape. He was in his early twenties when he started writing poetry. “I attended a poetry session and felt I could write better poems. I could not, but I continued writing and now here we are.”He is also a photographer and a filmmaker. On 7 July, a few his images featured in the Real City of Cape Town Group Exhibition held in the Bo-Kaap.Mqombothi says his influences include poets, novelists, essayists, photographers, filmmakers, and the everyday man.“To narrow it down to a few would be an impossible and an unfair task. To amuse you, I will give you a few names: Ben Okri, Bessie Head, Dambudzo Marechera, Lewis Nkosi, Anne Michaels, Michael Ondaatje, Teju Cole, Junot Diaz, James Baldwin, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Rachel Zadok and Zoe Wicomb.”Watch Mqombothi talk about his experience as a writer in South Africa:More about Caine Prize winnerThe Caine Prize for African Writing is awarded to an African writer of a short story published in English. The prize encourages and highlights the richness and diversity of African writing by bringing it to a wider international audience. The focus on the short story reflects the contemporary development of the African story-telling tradition.The other authors on the shortlist were:Lesley Nneka Arimah (Nigeria) for What it Means When a Man Falls From the Sky,Tope Folarin (Nigeria) for Genesis,Bongani Kona (Zimbabwe) for At Your Requiem, published in Incredible Journey: Stories That Move You,and;Abdul Adan (Somalia/Kenya) for The Lifebloom Gift, published in The Gonjon Pin and Other Stories: The Caine Prize for African Writing 2014.
Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology marshall kirkpatrick Tags:#mobile#web What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement Prominent online project management service Basecamp has launched a free mobile web app, built in HTML5 and custom designed for users on a multitude of different handsets. It’s attractive, easy to use and hopefully a model that will be followed by 37Signals on its other apps like Backpack.Loading basecamphq.com on your mobile device will take you to the new version automatically. Makers of the several 3rd party Basecamp mobile apps, who were probably making a fair sum on their software, are unlikely to be pleased. I’m excited to use it though. I really hope it supports Backpack soon.The company says the web app will work on the following devices: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid 2, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Incredible, HTC Evo, Palm Pre 2, BlackBerry Torch, and any device running iOS 4+, Android 2.1+, webOS 2, or BlackBerry 6. Related Posts
Days after rallies were held in West Bengal to celebrate Ram Navami, both the ruling Trinamool Congress and the BJP held rallies for Hanuman Jayanti on Tuesday, a first for West Bengal. While Suri, the district headquarters of Birbhum was on boil over a rally organised by the BJP, TMC leaders Lakshmi Ratan Shukla and Vaishali Dalmia were also present at the Hanuman Jayanti rallies.Another important TMC leader, Sadhan Pande, was present at an event in Kolkata where a large statue of Hanuman was unveiled. In some places like Basberia in the State’s Hooghly district, TMC councillor Amit Ghosh was present at an armed rally. Meanwhile, violence was reported at the BJP rally at Suri. BJP supporters carrying saffron flags were stopped by the police and Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel near the Barabagan area.Senior police officers of the district said no permission had been given to hold the rally. The police said that they had to intervene when those rallying “tried to enter the more sensitive areas of the town with a mixed population”.Baton chargePolice resorted to a baton charge to control the situation, leading to chaos. TMC Birbhum district president Anubrata Mondal justified police action. “Dilip Ghosh (BJP State president) was supposed to attend this rally. He did not come himself but tried to incite the locals from Kolkata. These tactics will not work in Birbhum,” he said. Mr. Ghosh said that the permission had been cancelled at the last moment and alleged “police excesses” on the BJP supporters.
PBA IMAGESPlaying in their first game in the PBA D-League, both CJ Perez and Jaycee Marcelino agreed that they are facing a brand new beast in the developmental ranks in this stint with Zark’s Burger-Lyceum.“The play in the D-League is really different from that of the NCAA,” said Perez, the NCAA Season 93 MVP, in Filipino after wrapping up his first game in the 2018 PBA D-League Aspirants’ Cup.ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City MOST READ Wawrinka, Muguruza out in 2nd round, heat soars in Australia Perez chimed in: “We just need to be tougher.” Read Next View comments LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH BI on alert for illegally deployed OFWs to Iraq Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Do not bring these items in SEA Games venues Marcelino also added: “We’re still finding our way. We’re facing veterans so it’s really a new challenge for us. Eventually, we’ll get our bearings back.”Zark’s Burger-Lyceum lost grip of the game late in the second quarter as Marinerong Pilipino jumped to a 47-35 halftime lead which extended to a 56-39 advantage early in the third quarter.Though Perez and Marcelino carried the Jawbreakers back in the game and got in within two numerous times in the last two minutes, they could not deliver the victory, losing to the Skippers, 94-92.Despite the opening day loss, Zark’s Burger-Lyceum is keeping its hopes up as it seeks to recover in its next assignment against Batangas-EAC on Tuesday.“We need to do extra work so that we could sustain what we did in Lyceum,” said Marcelino.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Asian shares slide on weak Japan data; US markets closed Marcelino, the Season’s Rookie of the Year, couldn’t agree more.“In the NCAA, everybody is on our level. Here, we’re playing against veterans, so we can’t say that we can replicate what we did in the NCAA.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutExpected to figure among the contenders this first conference, the Jawbreakers admitted that it still takes time before all of them adjust to the rigors of this new endeavor.“We’re still adjusting,” said Perez. “We just returned to practice and this was only our second game in the year, so we’re still confused at times on the floor.” 8th Top Leaders Forum assessed the progress of public-private efforts in building climate and disaster resilient communities
Advertisement In the second photo, Keanu looks totally mythic in a pinstripe suit with the most outrageously exacting peak lapels you will ever even think about in your life. His eyes are hidden behind a sick pair of movie star aviators. He reminds us, gently, that tailoring is the coolest part of wearing clothing as a man.And in the third—the Holy Ghost of the trinity—Keanu’s hair wicks away from his face just so. His leather motorcycle jacket is so perfect your entire soul is at risk of shattering, like a Hollywood ingenue’s heart in a hardboiled detective novel about a DJ who plays it fast and loose. But Keanu is staring right into your eyes, saying, “It’s okay, I know this jacket is special” (and so are you???). It’s like Keanu understands our totally intense and bizarre and joyful relationship with clothing, and is totally here for it. In the words of Keanu…whoa.Keanu Reeves in Saint Laurent (Photo by David Sims)BY RACHEL TASHJIAN ~ GQ Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: What a time to be Keanu Reeves. Earlier this month, we put the immortal star on the cover of GQ, as we vigilantly prepare for the third installment of John Wick. This past weekend, he blew our minds when he walked out of an Upper East Side hotel in a pair of hiking boots with a charcoal grey suit (his interpretation of Camp?).And today, Saint Laurent creative director Anthony Vaccarello revealed that the immortal man himself is the face of Saint Laurent’s Fall 2019 menswear campaign.The campaign is a holy trinity of black and white images by David Sims, the father of stark fashion portraits with big attitude; Vaccarello provided art direction. In the first photograph, Keanu bows his head, his eyes closed in quiet meditation. He is wearing a black leather aviator jacket with a shearling collar, and looks exactly how you hope you look when thinking deeply about jackets. Contemplative. Tender. Advertisement Advertisement Twitter