Strawberry Festival postponed; Owego businesses feel economic strain

first_img“Without having the festival, that’s a huge economic loss for the Village of Owego. When you’re talking about usually bringing in 20,000 people to our downtown, and providing opportunities for outside vendors to come in, for our own businesses in the village, it’ll be a huge loss for us,” said President of the Historic Owego Marketplace, Bradley Crews. “With an event like ours, you have to have a mass gathering permit in New York State. It’s issued by the Department of Health. We finally came to the conclusion that it’s highly unlikely we’re going to get that level of the permit we need by June,” said co-chair of the event, Wendy Post. “We got flooded by the business upstairs, so we lost our equipment. We closed in November, and we had just opened up two Tuesdays before this all hit,” said Pidcoe. 2020 would have been the 40th anniversary of the event, which typically draws tens of thousands of people. “We’re purchasing gift certificates from as many businesses as we can, we’re putting them online, you can look at our pages to figure out how to win one of those,” said Crews. Crews also says the business community will continue to focus on recovering at this time, and working toward a vision of what downtown Owego will look like as businesses reopen. With the festival postponed due to the coronavirus, many Owego businesses are feeling the economic pressure now, more than ever. (WBNG) — Owego’s beloved annual event, the Strawberry Festival, has been postponed until next year. Local printing and art shop business owner, John Pidcoe, says he’s feeling the loss, as he’s already started printing signs for businesses attending the festival. He says he’s already had a few hits to this business, and this is just another one. The Historic Owego Marketplace says they’re doing everything they can to support businesses like Pidcoe’s. If you would like to enter to win a gift card, visit this link.last_img read more

Lundin extends contract for Ocean Rig semi-sub

first_imgOil company Lundin Norway has declared its third option to extend the existing contract of the Ocean Rig-owned semi-submersible rig, Leiv Eiriksson. In addition, Ocean Rig has granted Lundin two additional options to drill further wells in the future, the driller said on Monday.As a result of these developments, the rig now has firm employment until at least the end of September of 2017 and should Lundin exercise its additional seven one-well options, currently un-declared, the rig could be employed until the first quarter of 2019, the rig owner noted.The total expected revenue backlog, including all the optional wells, is expected to be $85 million.George Economou, Chairman and CEO of Ocean Rig, commented: “We are grateful for the support of our major customer in Norway and subject to the successful restructuring look forward to extending this relationship in the long-term.”To remind, the driller at the end of March filed for Chapter 15 bankruptcy protection in a United States court amid a prolonged downturn in the offshore drilling market.Earlier on Monday, Lundin was granted a drilling permit for another Alta appraisal well to be drilled with the Leiv Eiriksson rig.The 2001-built semi-sub has been working for Lundin offshore Norway since last year. Before the contract started, the rig prepared for Barents Sea operations at Westcon Yards in Ølen, Norway.Offshore Energy Today Stafflast_img read more

Sammy Harold Brown

first_imgOur town lost a longtime citizen and friend, “Sammy” Harold Brown, age 71, who was called home late Tuesday, April 25. He was born in Edmonton, Kentucky, the son of the late James and Evelyn (Jessee) Brown on December 20, 1945. In his early years, he grew up in Kentucky, and around 6th grade the family moved to Indiana. He attended Sand Creek and then onto Versailles, graduating from there.After high school he became employed at Batesville Casket Company. He worked his entire career there, giving 45 years. As life began to move on, he met the love of his life Deborah Ann Forwalt at the former Dunbar and Bultman restaurant, and he married her on November 20, 1971 and built a family with her over the last 45 plus years. They built a home in between Napoleon and Batesville and raised 4 boys and 1 daughter. Since retirement he and Debbie had built a new home in the town of Osgood. To say life was busy and blessed would be an understatement; his love for his children and grandchildren was very strong. His heart ached last summer with the passing of his son Bret, a tremendous loss.His involvement in different organizations was a commitment he had made; he was a proud member of the Osgood Legion, Eagles of Aurora, and American Legion Riders of Ripley County. He had a strong faith and attended Cedar Creek Community Church.Sam fought sickness for the last 5 years, but in February of 2016 began his toughest fight. No one here can say he lost the fight, merely it was his time. His greatest enjoyment of fun was riding his motorcycle! Sam loved to tease and aggravate all of his grandchildren; they were the greatest gifts he ever received!He was preceded in death by his parents, son Bret, and sister Betty Brown. He is survived by wife Debbie of Osgood, sons Chad Edward and Mark Alan (Vanessa) both of Osgood, son Brad Lee of Columbus, daughter April McQueen of Versailles, brother J. C. (Carolyn) Brown of Osgood, and sister Becky (Ron) Sutton of Holton, along with 12 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. A visitation will be at Neal’s Funeral Home in Osgood on Thursday, April 27, 2017 from 4-7 p.m. The funeral service will also be at Neal’s Funeral Home on Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11 a.m., with doors opening at 9 a.m., followed by burial at New Marion Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family request memorials are made out to the New Marion Cemetery in care of the funeral home. Services entrusted to Neal’s Funeral Home. www.nealsfuneralhome.netlast_img read more