German tests link bean sprouts to deadly E. coli

first_img Sharing is caring! Share It is believed the bean sprouts were produced in GermanyNew data released in Germany strongly suggests that locally produced bean sprouts were, as suspected, the source of the deadly E. coli outbreak.“It’s the bean sprouts,” said Reinhard Burger, head of Germany’s centre for disease control.Officials initially blamed the E. coli, which has killed 29 people, on imported cucumbers, then bean sprouts.In another development, Russia agreed to lift its ban on imports of EU fresh vegetables in return for guarantees.The Russian ban had compounded a crisis for EU vegetable-growers, with Spanish cucumber producers wrongly blamed for the contamination.Mr Burger, who heads the Robert Koch Institute, told reporters on Friday that even though no tests of the sprouts from a farm in Lower Saxony had come back positive, the epidemiological investigation of the pattern of the outbreak had produced enough evidence to draw the conclusion.The institute, he added, was lifting its warning against eating cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce, but keeping it in place for the sprouts.Some 3,000 people have been taken ill with the German outbreak of E. coli, which involves a previously unknown strain of the bacterium.Sufferers may develop haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) where bacteria attack the kidneys and nervous system, giving them fits and often forcing them on to dialysis.‘Hot lead’“People who ate sprouts were nine times more likely to have bloody diarrhoea than those who did not,” Mr Burger said.Germany’s top disease control official said the origin of the contamination was still believed to be the small organic farm in Lower Saxony which first came under suspicion at the weekend.“The links are ever clearer – it’s a hot lead,” he told reporters in Berlin, at a joint news conference with the heads of Germany’s federal institute for risk assessment and federal office for consumer protection.He said it was possible that all tainted sprouts had now either been consumed or thrown away, but he warned the crisis was not yet over.“There will be new cases coming up,” he said.“Thousands of tests carried out on tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce have proved negative,” he added.Lower Saxony agriculture minister Gert Lindemann said earlier this week that experts had found no traces of the E. coli bacterium strain at the Bienenbuettel farm but he did not rule it out as the source of the contamination.In an interview to be published in next week’s edition of Focus magazine, Mr Lindemann said some 60 of the people taken ill had eaten sprouts from the farm, which employs about 15 people.Contamination might have been caused by contaminated seeds or “poor hygiene”, he added.Ban to be liftedThe agreement to lift the Russian ban was announced after talks between top EU officials including the Commission chief, Jose Manuel Barroso, and Russian counterparts in the central Russian city of Nizhny Novgorod.“We are ready to resume the shipments under guarantees of the EU authorities,” President Dmitry Medvedev told reporters.Russia’s top food safety officer, Gennady Onishchenko, said Russia would lift its prohibition after receiving food safety guarantees from the European Commission.Mr Barroso said the EU would send a form for issuing food safety certificates to Russia in the next few days.According to the Commission, the total value of EU exports of fresh vegetables to Russia is 600m euros (£530m; $870m) a year, a quarter of the total exported.Spain, France, Germany and Poland are the biggest exporters.BBC News Share Tweetcenter_img HealthLifestyle German tests link bean sprouts to deadly E. coli by: – June 10, 2011 27 Views   no discussions Sharelast_img read more

O’Neill hails importance of draw

first_img O’Neill’s men came close to going top of Group F as they heaped on the pressure in the final moments of the 0-0 stalemate at Windsor Park. Only visiting goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu prevented them taking all three points, denying Jonny Evans just before the break before saving from Kyle Lafferty and Oliver Norwood in the dying minutes. Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill believes his side have all but guaranteed themselves a Euro 2016 play-off place after drawing with Romania. “I felt it was probably the tensest game yet, there was tension there from the outset,” he said. “Both teams stifled each other: we pressed them very well and they did likewise to us. It became a game neither side wanted to lose. “Both teams were determined not to be beaten and the games may well continue in that fashion. They will all probably be decided by finest of margins from now on.” Press Association A share of the spoils still leaves them with 13 points, two ahead of Hungary in third and seven in front of the Faroe Islands, who have stunned Greece twice to sit fourth. O’Neill still has his heart set on automatic qualification but believes the play-off that comes with third spot is effectively in the bag. “With a little more care in the box or a little more precision with the finishing we could have won the game but this is a big point,” said O’Neill. “It cements our place in the top three I think and that leaves it all to play for when we face the Faroes and Hungary in September. “I’ve said all along 18 points is the target and this is another point towards that. What is great is that we’re still only one point behind Romania. “We’ve managed to get points on board early, winning difficult games in Greece and Hungary and we’ve followed that with seven points from nine at home. “We saw here close to our strongest team going head to head with the side that is widely recognised as strongest in the group and I don’t think there was anything between the sides at all.” O’Neill believes this top-of-the-table clash was the most nervy he has experienced in the campaign – with the rivals constantly weighing up the risk and reward of pushing for victory – but expects plenty more of the same in the next four fixtures. last_img read more

Okagbare Runs First Sub-11secs in Almost Two Years

first_imgMany local athletics watchers had been doubting Okagbare’s ability to bounce back after a rather disappointing 2016 season when she not only failed to race inside 11 seconds in the 100m but also could not make the final of the event at the Rio Olympics.The last time she ran a sub-11 seconds in the 100m was way back in September 2015 at the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Zurich where she closed her season with a 10.98 seconds performance.Interestingly, the Nigerian ran an incredible six sub-11 seconds in the 100m that season, topping it with the 10.80 seconds she ran at the IAAF Diamond League meeting at the Stade De France in Paris on July 4. It was her and Nigeria’s second fastest 100m time ever.It was also the third fastest time in the world that year. Okagbare broke 11 seconds for the first time in 2012 when she ran 10.96 seconds to place second in the first semi-final at the IAAF Diamond League meeting in Crystal Palace, London on July 14.She ran three more sub-11 seconds to close the season with a 10.92 personal best on August 4 at the Olympics in London.She ran three more the following year with an incredible 10.79 seconds performance to become the first Nigerian nay African woman to break 10.80 seconds in the 100m.It was then a new African record which proved to be the second fastest in the world that year behind Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pyrce’s IAAF World-title winning 10.71 seconds performance in Moscow.In 2014,Okagbare broke 11 seconds thrice like she did the previous year and ended the season with a 10.85 seconds personal season’s best which not only fetched her the Commonwealth Games gold but also ensured she ended the year with the second fastest time in the world, again behind USA’s Torie Bowie (10.80 seconds).The following year she ran six times inside 11 seconds and was on course to becoming the first Nigerian to win a 100m medal at the IAAF Worlds in Beijing but wishes refused to turn to horses as she finished last in the final. Last year she did not legally break 11 seconds as the 10.92 seconds she ran at the Istvan Guylai Memorial Grand Prix in Hungary on July 18 was aided by a +2.6 metres per second trailing wind which rendered it illegal.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram *Picks bronze in IAAF Diamond League in LondonReigning Nigeria sprint queen Blessing Okagbare-Ighoteguonor on Sunday at the IAAF Diamond League meeting in London ran 10.99 seconds, her first sub-11 seconds performance of the season to place third behind Jamaica’s Elaine Thompson (10.94) and Dutch girl, Dafne Schippers (10.97). She has thus raced back to reckoning ahead of next month’s 16th IAAF World Championships also in London.It was the Nigerian’s first sub-11 seconds performance in the 100m in over 21 months and 17th of a very storied career since she raced into the limelight in Abuja on July 25 when she won her first national title in the blue ribband event.last_img read more