Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Jones Beach State Park is quickly regaining its appeal as the place to be to celebrate the holidays on Long Island.After bringing back the popular Jones Beach Holiday Lights Spectacular last year, New York State announced that the famous fireworks show at the iconic South Shore beach is also returning after a five-year hiatus. The July 4th Fireworks Spectacular, which once drew thousands of revelers from Long Island and around the region, will be on full display this Independence Day.“What better place to celebrate America’s birthday than at one of the most iconic and landmark state destinations,” said Rose Harvey, commissioner of the State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.Gov. Andrew Cuomo, in a statement announcing the event’s return, said his administration was “proud” to revive the tradition—once a staple event for LI families. Jones Beach last hosted the dazzling pyrotechnic event in 2009. The show was cancelled in 2010 due to monetary and staffing constraints.The announced revival comes days after Jones Beach held its annual Bethpage Air Show, which featured stunt pilots performing impressive aerobatic maneuvers as revelers looked on from the beach. Hundreds of thousands attended the two-day event.Astoria Bank will sponsor this year’s fireworks show, officials said.Jones Beach itself is in the middle of a multimillion-dollar revitalization project. New bathrooms in Field 6 were installed just in time for the air show and the central mall’s mosaic was refurbished for the first time in three decades. The show’s revival is part of a state plan to invest $900 million in the state parks system by 2020.The 30-minute fireworks show is scheduled for Saturday, July 4 at 9:30 p.m.
(WBNG)- There are several schools in our area that are closed on Friday due to the weather. To see if your school is impacted, click here.
Sharing is caring! Share It is believed the bean sprouts were produced in GermanyNew data released in Germany strongly suggests that locally produced bean sprouts were, as suspected, the source of the deadly E. coli outbreak.“It’s the bean sprouts,” said Reinhard Burger, head of Germany’s centre for disease control.Officials initially blamed the E. coli, which has killed 29 people, on imported cucumbers, then bean sprouts.In another development, Russia agreed to lift its ban on imports of EU fresh vegetables in return for guarantees.The Russian ban had compounded a crisis for EU vegetable-growers, with Spanish cucumber producers wrongly blamed for the contamination.Mr Burger, who heads the Robert Koch Institute, told reporters on Friday that even though no tests of the sprouts from a farm in Lower Saxony had come back positive, the epidemiological investigation of the pattern of the outbreak had produced enough evidence to draw the conclusion.The institute, he added, was lifting its warning against eating cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce, but keeping it in place for the sprouts.Some 3,000 people have been taken ill with the German outbreak of E. coli, which involves a previously unknown strain of the bacterium.Sufferers may develop haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) where bacteria attack the kidneys and nervous system, giving them fits and often forcing them on to dialysis.‘Hot lead’“People who ate sprouts were nine times more likely to have bloody diarrhoea than those who did not,” Mr Burger said.Germany’s top disease control official said the origin of the contamination was still believed to be the small organic farm in Lower Saxony which first came under suspicion at the weekend.“The links are ever clearer – it’s a hot lead,” he told reporters in Berlin, at a joint news conference with the heads of Germany’s federal institute for risk assessment and federal office for consumer protection.He said it was possible that all tainted sprouts had now either been consumed or thrown away, but he warned the crisis was not yet over.“There will be new cases coming up,” he said.“Thousands of tests carried out on tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce have proved negative,” he added.Lower Saxony agriculture minister Gert Lindemann said earlier this week that experts had found no traces of the E. coli bacterium strain at the Bienenbuettel farm but he did not rule it out as the source of the contamination.In an interview to be published in next week’s edition of Focus magazine, Mr Lindemann said some 60 of the people taken ill had eaten sprouts from the farm, which employs about 15 people.Contamination might have been caused by contaminated seeds or “poor hygiene”, he added.Ban to be liftedThe agreement to lift the Russian ban was announced after talks between top EU officials including the Commission chief, Jose Manuel Barroso, and Russian counterparts in the central Russian city of Nizhny Novgorod.“We are ready to resume the shipments under guarantees of the EU authorities,” President Dmitry Medvedev told reporters.Russia’s top food safety officer, Gennady Onishchenko, said Russia would lift its prohibition after receiving food safety guarantees from the European Commission.Mr Barroso said the EU would send a form for issuing food safety certificates to Russia in the next few days.According to the Commission, the total value of EU exports of fresh vegetables to Russia is 600m euros (£530m; $870m) a year, a quarter of the total exported.Spain, France, Germany and Poland are the biggest exporters.BBC News Share Tweet HealthLifestyle German tests link bean sprouts to deadly E. coli by: – June 10, 2011 27 Views no discussions Share
“I suspect if he doesn’t play tomorrow, Thursday will be a real good day.”Pastrnak last suited up Feb. 10 against Colorado, where he was held scoreless over 20:42 of ice time. Later that night, he fell while walking out of a sponsorship dinner and injured his left thumb. The club announced two days later that his injury would require surgery. He has missed the team’s last 16 games. David Pastrnak appears to be returning to the Bruins lineup this week, according to head coach Bruce Cassidy.”He’s a good player, we miss him,” said Cassidy, stating the obvious following the team’s practice Monday. “Practice today felt great, so he’s traveling with us, obviously. Could play tomorrow. … I’m not saying he will, but he’ll make that decision in conjunction with the medical staff, maybe as early as tomorrow after morning skate. So I would assume he’d be a game-time decision tomorrow. Pastrnak and several of his teammates attended a sponsorship dinner on Sunday night. At about 11:30, while walking to his transportation, Pastrnak fell and injured his left thumb.Team will know better in two weeks, but Pastrnak is expected to return and play this season.— Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) February 12, 2019Pastrnak was having a career year prior to the injury. In 56 games, the right wing netted 31 goals and 35 assists with a career-high 29 points on the power play. How he will play when he returns is anyone’s guess since he is a right-handed shot, meaning his left hand is his top and controlling hand.One thing is certain: Pastrnak will be reunited on the top line with Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand. The line was dominant before Pastrnak’s injury, and rejoining the trio is a “comfort level” for Pastrnak, noted Cassidy.The Bruins are embarking on a four-game road trip in which the 2014 first-round pick could return Tuesday against the Islanders or Thursday in New Jersey. With 10 games remaining, Boston sits four points ahead of Toronto in the battle for home-ice advantage in their expected first-round Atlantic Division matchup.