‘BAD OMEN FOR BONG’: 73 New Ebola Cases Reported in One Week

first_imgThe Bong County Health Team on the county Taskforce has released an update of Ebola cases in the county, recording a total of 73 new cases for the period of one week.Briefing Journalists at the office of the Bong County Health Team at the Phebe Hospital Compound on Monday, the Administrator at the County Health Team, Fartormah Jusu, said of the 73 new cases, there were nine  confirmed, 49 suspected and 15 probable.Mr. Jusu also announced to the meeting that the Bong County Ebola Taskforce received seventy specimen results of last week, of which 32 were positive and 36 were negative, while two were in- determinant, meaning the two are required to redo their EVD test.The County Health Administrator was swift to notify the County Taskforce that a cumulative number of 972 contacts listed were recorded from July to September, among which 155 persons completed the 21 days of quarantine as instituted by the County Health Team.He disclosed that the county recorded 27 cumulative deaths from the Ebola Treatment Unit in Suakoko District, with 83 admissions currently at the ETU.Mr. Jusu indicated that the County Health Team has documented 44 discharged patients from the ETU, with 34 tested negative. He said three children from the ETU in Bong County have been reintegrated with their parents in the county after surviving the human killer disease.He named Gbarpolu County as the latest epi center, with seven cases being reported from the county with one positive and six suspected.The County Health Team Administrator informed the gathering that the Ebola cases began to increase from mid August to October 13, 2014,  something he described as a bad omen for the people of Bong County. Mr. Jusu told the Taskforce that he believes the rapid spread of the disease is the direct result of attitudinal problems on the part of local residents, who fail to adhere to measures as announced by Health authorities.“If we do not change our behavior of how to treat this deadly disease, it will surely live with us for a long period of time, despite the international community’s firm commitment to help us fight against the virus” Mr. Jusu declared shaking his head in disappointment. He told this newspaper that one of the underlying reasons for the swell in deaths in recent times is the entrenched culture of silence on the part of Liberians to report for testing in spite of the presence of testing centers in the county.  This, he said, will lead to the breakdown of the fabric of the society.The County Health Official narrated that with the ingrained culture of silence, the County Health Team is finding it tremendously difficult to fight the Ebola virus disease in the county.  At the same time, suspected Ebola virus carriers are not prepared to be quarantined or to report to the health facilities for early check up.Ordinary Bong County residents who spoke with the Daily Observer argued the virus is not being enclosed due to the lackadaisical attitude on the part of the inhabitants to abide by the actions put in place by Health authorities;  while others maintained that the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and the Government of Liberia are not doing enough to encourage  health workers to provide services at the health facilities and ETUs around the country.  Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

High Court handyman remanded for beating wife

first_imgA handyman attached to the Berbice High Court was remanded to prison for allegedly hitting his wife with a piece of wood several times, causing her to suffer a fracture to the left hand.Troyden Evans, 42, of Lot 214 Mayor and Town Council Scheme, New Amsterdam, appeared before Magistrate Alex Moore on a charge of maliciously inflecting bodily harm on Rhonda McGarrel on December 14, 2018, at Vrymens Erven.The prosecution is contending that Evans went to his wife who was selling in front of a primary school in New Amsterdam and began threatening her.The woman, out of fear, left her stand and ran into the New Amsterdam Library compound but he pursued her and then dealt her several blows with the piece of wood he was carrying.The woman appeared in court with her left arm bandaged and indicated to the court that it was fractured. Police Prosecutor Inspector Bernard Brown told the court that Evans was previously charged for a similar offence, but the matter was dismissed for want of prosecution.According to Brown, he was also convicted and imprisoned for burning McGarrel’s face. He will have to return to court on January 18, 2019.last_img read more

GAA NEWS: MOTHERS AND OTHERS GROUP GET OFF THE GROUND IN GLENSWILLY

first_imgIt was a quiet weekend in terms of football and the only activity at the club was the Og sport Seven a side on Bank holiday Monday.Under 15 teams from Termon, Buncrana, Muff, Mac Cumhaills and Glenswilly were in attendance and it was a fantastic days football with some quality players on show. Our boys didnt make it through but did fantastic to get that far.The Mothers and Others group had their first meeting at the training pitch last Wednesday and good numbers turned up on the evening, the group will continue to meet every Wednesday at the training pitch from 8 to 9pm. There is also a walking group meeting there at the same time. It is a great social group and an opportunity to meet others.Any queries contact Elaine Mc Fadden on 086 1611240. Due to the Donegal match the Under 13 girls have no training this week. We would like to wish our Under10s all the best this coming Saturday when they travel to Dublin for a competition at Fingal GAA Club and they will also be attending the match in Croke Park thus an exciting day for them all.The annual Summer Camp will take place from August 20th to 22nd at the Clubhouse, places are very limited so to get your names in contact Karen on 0863827312.The Under 16 boys are in the league semi final at home to Carndonagh on Monday August 11th at 7.30pm. Well done to Cormac Callaghan and the Donegal Minor team on reaching the All Ireland Semis where they face Dublin, hopefully Neil and Michael will follow suit with a victory over Armagh next Saturday.The Club had a fantastic evening last Monday when we had the Two County Boys along with the Ulster Cups in a meet and greet at the Clubhouse. Great numbers turned up for photos and anyone looking for their photo can contact Geraldine Diver on 086 0741551. Unfortunately Cormac was unable to attend due to County training, but again thanks to Michael and Neil for their time and patcience on the evening. GAA NEWS: MOTHERS AND OTHERS GROUP GET OFF THE GROUND IN GLENSWILLY was last modified: August 5th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Glenswilly GAA noteslast_img read more