Cuban says Mavs want Kristaps Porzingis, Luka Doncic for long haul

first_img SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball PLAY LIST 05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold02:43Philippines make clean sweep in Men’s and Women’s 3×3 Basketball02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Miami Heat to retire Chris Bosh’s No. 1 jersey next month Latvian big man Porzingis, the number four pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, hasn’t played since undergoing surgery to repair a torn left knee ligament last February.He was traded from the New York Knicks last week in a blockbuster multi-player deal, but the Mavericks were quick to say that they don’t expect him to resume competition this season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsCuban said the Mavericks will evaluate Porzingis and develop a timetable for his return.“I’ve been patient this whole time and I’m going to keep staying patient,” Porzingis said. “We’re going to make the right decisions.” Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil LATEST STORIES Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption View comments Newly acquired player Kristaps Porzingis, left, responds to questions as head coach Rick Carlisle, center, and team owner Mark Cuban, right, listen during a news conferences where the newly acquired players were introduced in Dallas, Monday, Feb. 4, 2019. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)Kristaps Porzingis won’t join new Dallas teammate Luka Doncic on court this season, but once he does Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wants to keep the duo together for the long haul.“Our goal is to keep these two together for the next 20 years,” Cuban said Monday as the NBA club held a press conference to introduce new acquisitions Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr. Courtney Lee and Trey Burke.ADVERTISEMENT While Porzingis can become a restricted free agent at the end of this season, Cuban envisions Porzingis staying in Dallas and forming a dynamic duo with rookie sensation Doncic, the third overall selection in last June’s draft who is averaging 20.7 points per game along with 7.0 rebounds and 5.4 assists.Porzingis, 23, said he had a “great relationship” with the 19-year-old Slovenian, having played against him in Europe.“I remember he was a few years younger than me. We just know each other from playing against each other for a long time,” Porzingis said. “Now that I have the opportunity to play with him I’m really excited about it.”ADVERTISEMENT In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship historylast_img read more

‘BAD OMEN FOR BONG’: 73 New Ebola Cases Reported in One Week

first_imgThe Bong County Health Team on the county Taskforce has released an update of Ebola cases in the county, recording a total of 73 new cases for the period of one week.Briefing Journalists at the office of the Bong County Health Team at the Phebe Hospital Compound on Monday, the Administrator at the County Health Team, Fartormah Jusu, said of the 73 new cases, there were nine  confirmed, 49 suspected and 15 probable.Mr. Jusu also announced to the meeting that the Bong County Ebola Taskforce received seventy specimen results of last week, of which 32 were positive and 36 were negative, while two were in- determinant, meaning the two are required to redo their EVD test.The County Health Administrator was swift to notify the County Taskforce that a cumulative number of 972 contacts listed were recorded from July to September, among which 155 persons completed the 21 days of quarantine as instituted by the County Health Team.He disclosed that the county recorded 27 cumulative deaths from the Ebola Treatment Unit in Suakoko District, with 83 admissions currently at the ETU.Mr. Jusu indicated that the County Health Team has documented 44 discharged patients from the ETU, with 34 tested negative. He said three children from the ETU in Bong County have been reintegrated with their parents in the county after surviving the human killer disease.He named Gbarpolu County as the latest epi center, with seven cases being reported from the county with one positive and six suspected.The County Health Team Administrator informed the gathering that the Ebola cases began to increase from mid August to October 13, 2014,  something he described as a bad omen for the people of Bong County. Mr. Jusu told the Taskforce that he believes the rapid spread of the disease is the direct result of attitudinal problems on the part of local residents, who fail to adhere to measures as announced by Health authorities.“If we do not change our behavior of how to treat this deadly disease, it will surely live with us for a long period of time, despite the international community’s firm commitment to help us fight against the virus” Mr. Jusu declared shaking his head in disappointment. He told this newspaper that one of the underlying reasons for the swell in deaths in recent times is the entrenched culture of silence on the part of Liberians to report for testing in spite of the presence of testing centers in the county.  This, he said, will lead to the breakdown of the fabric of the society.The County Health Official narrated that with the ingrained culture of silence, the County Health Team is finding it tremendously difficult to fight the Ebola virus disease in the county.  At the same time, suspected Ebola virus carriers are not prepared to be quarantined or to report to the health facilities for early check up.Ordinary Bong County residents who spoke with the Daily Observer argued the virus is not being enclosed due to the lackadaisical attitude on the part of the inhabitants to abide by the actions put in place by Health authorities;  while others maintained that the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and the Government of Liberia are not doing enough to encourage  health workers to provide services at the health facilities and ETUs around the country.  Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more