View Comments Casting is now set for the previously announced world premiere of Tuck Everlasting at Atlanta’s Alliance Theatre. The new production, directed and choreographed by Casey Nicholaw, will star Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Carolee Carmello, Robert Lenzi, Terrence Mann, Michael Park and newcomer Sarah Charles Lewis. Carmello, Keenan-Bolger and Park had initially been tapped to appear in the 2013 pre-Broadway world premiere in Boston, which was subsequently canceled. The new production will begin performances on January 21, 2015 and run through February 22. Opening night is set for February 4. No official word yet on the tuner’s plans for the Great White Way following Atlanta.Featuring music by Chris Miller, lyrics by Nathan Tysen and a book by Claudia Shear, Tuck Everlasting follows a young girl (Lewis) and her friendship with Jesse Tuck (Keenan-Bolger) and his family, who become immortal after drinking from an enchanted spring. Based on the 1975 children’s novel by Natalie Babbitt, the story has twice been adapted for the screen.Keenan-Bolger’s Broadway credits include Newsies, Mary Poppins, Seussical and Beauty and the Beast. Carmello, who will take on the role of Ma Tuck, earned Tony nominations for her performances in Parade, Lestat and Scandalous. She recently appeared in the pre-Broadway engagement of Finding Neverland. Lenzi, who will play Miles Tuck, made his Broadway debut in South Pacific. Mann, who takes on the role of the Man in the Yllow Suit, earned a Tony nod for his most recent Broadway performance in Pippin; he was also nominated for Beauty and the Beast and Les Miserables. Park will play Pa Tuck; he has appeared on Broadway in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and Little Me. Lewis, at just 10-years-old, recently starred in Atlanta Lyric Theatre’s Annie.Additional cast members will include Michael Wartella as Hugo, Shannon Eubanks as Nana and Liza Jaine as Betsy Foster. The world premiere production will feature a set by Walt Spangler, costumes by Gregg Barnes, lighting design by Kenneth Posner and sound design by Brian Ronan.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 52-year-old North Bellport man was shot to death early Thursday morning, Suffolk County police said.Officers responded to a ShotSpotter alert on Bellport Avenue and upon arrival, they found Robert Burks lying dead in front of a Bellport Avenue home just north of Montauk Highway at 12:54 a.m., police said.Investigators have not identified a suspect.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about this incident to call them at 631-852-6392 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS (8477). All calls will be kept confidential.
At the press conference to announce his multi-million pound deal with Nike in January, Rory McIlroy was keen to stress major titles mattered more to him than money. Such honesty made for great headlines, but is it great for McIlroy? “Sometimes (I wish I wasn’t so honest) but it’s just me,” he said. “I am not going to sit up here and pour my heart out but I will tell you how I am thinking and what’s on my mind. If I get asked a reasonable question I will give a reasonable answer.” The answer to McIlroy’s problems on the course may prove harder to find, but the Ryder Cup star is hoping a few enjoyable rounds with friends back home in Northern Ireland last week, coupled with the advice of putting coach Dave Stockton, will set him on the right track. He insists his game was in worse shape at this time last year before a fifth-place finish in Akron kickstarted a stunning second half of the season. And he believes competing at Firestone is the perfect preparation for what lies ahead at Oak Hill, venue for the 1995 Ryder Cup and the scene of Shaun Micheel’s US PGA triumph in 2003. “They are both old-fashioned, traditional golf courses,” McIlroy said. “The fairways at Oak Hill have a little more bend to them, you have to shape a lots of shots at Oak Hill; here a lot of them are straight out in front but the greens are similar, quite small and sloping and the par threes at both courses are strong holes. “I’ve heard the rough is up at Oak Hill from when I was there six weeks ago so I’m looking forward to seeing what that’s like.” “At the end of 2013, if I have not won another major I will be disappointed.” Two months after expressing those thoughts, McIlroy was replaced as world number one by Tiger Woods and now finds himself third in the rankings behind Phil Mickelson. And unless he retains his US PGA title next week at Oak Hill, that disappointment of not winning a major championship in 2013 will hit home too. The bookmakers have the 24-year-old from Northern Ireland as a 28/1 seventh favourite to lift the Wanamaker Trophy again and it is hard to argue with those odds. In fact it could easily be argued they are not generous enough. McIlroy won five times last year, including his second major by eight shots at Kiawah Island, to finish top of the money list on both sides of the Atlantic. But he has recorded only one top-five finish in a turbulent 2013 that saw him damage his reputation by walking off the course during his defence of the Honda Classic and bending one of his new clubs out of shape during the final round of the US Open. In the majors he has managed just one round under 70 – a closing 69 in the US Masters – and is a collective 28 over par after missing the cut in the Open Championship after rounds of 79 and 75. That opening round at Muirfield led McIlroy to offer a withering assessment of his own performance, labelling it “brain dead” and claiming he sometimes felt “like I’m walking around out there and I’m unconscious”. “I don’t play golf for the money, I am well past that,” McIlroy said in Abu Dhabi after signing a deal reported to be worth around £150million over 10 years. “I’m a major champion and world number one, which I have always dreamed of being, and feel this is a company that can help me sustain that and win even more major titles. Press Association
Press Association The 25-year-old Bournemouth midfielder, who was playing non-league football for Woking five years ago, completed a remarkable journey when he was sent on as a 63rd-minute replacement for Glenn Whelan in Sunday’s 0-0 friendly draw with England at the Aviva Stadium. In the process, he found himself lining up against the likes of Wayne Rooney, Raheem Sterling, Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott, something he will do on a regular basis next season after helping the Cherries to promotion from the Sky Bet Championship. Arter will now hope to force his way into Ireland boss Martin O’Neill’s plans for Saturday’s vital Euro 2016 qualifier against Scotland, although he is taking nothing for granted as he attempts to ease himself on to the international stage. He said: “I haven’t even really thought about it yet. My main focus is to take each day as it comes. I am still very inexperienced at this level and any part that the manager wants me to play, I’m more than happy to do. “But I haven’t really looked that far forward yet.” Harry Arter enjoyed an early taste of what life in the Barclays Premier League will be like as he was handed his senior debut for the Republic of Ireland. Arter admitted he has rarely faced the prospect of such an exciting summer and is relishing what lies ahead. He said: “When the season ended, it was getting ready for this, really. I knew I might have a slight chance of being called up and when I did, it was to get focused on this. “I haven’t really thought too much about next season and the teams we will be playing against, but once this trip is done, it will be something to focus on with a lot of excitement and get ready for that. “International-level games are different, but these are the players I’m going to be playing against next year, so it was nice to test myself against them and experience it. “It was nice to test myself early on against these sort of players. From afar, you realise how good they are and it’s good to come up against them and test yourself and realise what you are in for next year.” Arter might have announced his arrival in style within minutes when he broke into space and unleashed a long-range shot which flew just wide of Joe Hart’s goal. He said: “I could have flicked Longy (Shane Long) in, but at the time, I felt like I had to have a shot and the manager said, ‘Well done’ for getting into those sort of positions after the game. “It was good to finally get a game and it was a moment I’m sure I will look back on in weeks and months and years to come with a lot of pride. It was a good day.”