Sharing is caring! Share It is believed the bean sprouts were produced in GermanyNew data released in Germany strongly suggests that locally produced bean sprouts were, as suspected, the source of the deadly E. coli outbreak.“It’s the bean sprouts,” said Reinhard Burger, head of Germany’s centre for disease control.Officials initially blamed the E. coli, which has killed 29 people, on imported cucumbers, then bean sprouts.In another development, Russia agreed to lift its ban on imports of EU fresh vegetables in return for guarantees.The Russian ban had compounded a crisis for EU vegetable-growers, with Spanish cucumber producers wrongly blamed for the contamination.Mr Burger, who heads the Robert Koch Institute, told reporters on Friday that even though no tests of the sprouts from a farm in Lower Saxony had come back positive, the epidemiological investigation of the pattern of the outbreak had produced enough evidence to draw the conclusion.The institute, he added, was lifting its warning against eating cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce, but keeping it in place for the sprouts.Some 3,000 people have been taken ill with the German outbreak of E. coli, which involves a previously unknown strain of the bacterium.Sufferers may develop haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) where bacteria attack the kidneys and nervous system, giving them fits and often forcing them on to dialysis.‘Hot lead’“People who ate sprouts were nine times more likely to have bloody diarrhoea than those who did not,” Mr Burger said.Germany’s top disease control official said the origin of the contamination was still believed to be the small organic farm in Lower Saxony which first came under suspicion at the weekend.“The links are ever clearer – it’s a hot lead,” he told reporters in Berlin, at a joint news conference with the heads of Germany’s federal institute for risk assessment and federal office for consumer protection.He said it was possible that all tainted sprouts had now either been consumed or thrown away, but he warned the crisis was not yet over.“There will be new cases coming up,” he said.“Thousands of tests carried out on tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce have proved negative,” he added.Lower Saxony agriculture minister Gert Lindemann said earlier this week that experts had found no traces of the E. coli bacterium strain at the Bienenbuettel farm but he did not rule it out as the source of the contamination.In an interview to be published in next week’s edition of Focus magazine, Mr Lindemann said some 60 of the people taken ill had eaten sprouts from the farm, which employs about 15 people.Contamination might have been caused by contaminated seeds or “poor hygiene”, he added.Ban to be liftedThe agreement to lift the Russian ban was announced after talks between top EU officials including the Commission chief, Jose Manuel Barroso, and Russian counterparts in the central Russian city of Nizhny Novgorod.“We are ready to resume the shipments under guarantees of the EU authorities,” President Dmitry Medvedev told reporters.Russia’s top food safety officer, Gennady Onishchenko, said Russia would lift its prohibition after receiving food safety guarantees from the European Commission.Mr Barroso said the EU would send a form for issuing food safety certificates to Russia in the next few days.According to the Commission, the total value of EU exports of fresh vegetables to Russia is 600m euros (£530m; $870m) a year, a quarter of the total exported.Spain, France, Germany and Poland are the biggest exporters.BBC News Share Tweet HealthLifestyle German tests link bean sprouts to deadly E. coli by: – June 10, 2011 27 Views no discussions Share
Our town lost a longtime citizen and friend, “Sammy” Harold Brown, age 71, who was called home late Tuesday, April 25. He was born in Edmonton, Kentucky, the son of the late James and Evelyn (Jessee) Brown on December 20, 1945. In his early years, he grew up in Kentucky, and around 6th grade the family moved to Indiana. He attended Sand Creek and then onto Versailles, graduating from there.After high school he became employed at Batesville Casket Company. He worked his entire career there, giving 45 years. As life began to move on, he met the love of his life Deborah Ann Forwalt at the former Dunbar and Bultman restaurant, and he married her on November 20, 1971 and built a family with her over the last 45 plus years. They built a home in between Napoleon and Batesville and raised 4 boys and 1 daughter. Since retirement he and Debbie had built a new home in the town of Osgood. To say life was busy and blessed would be an understatement; his love for his children and grandchildren was very strong. His heart ached last summer with the passing of his son Bret, a tremendous loss.His involvement in different organizations was a commitment he had made; he was a proud member of the Osgood Legion, Eagles of Aurora, and American Legion Riders of Ripley County. He had a strong faith and attended Cedar Creek Community Church.Sam fought sickness for the last 5 years, but in February of 2016 began his toughest fight. No one here can say he lost the fight, merely it was his time. His greatest enjoyment of fun was riding his motorcycle! Sam loved to tease and aggravate all of his grandchildren; they were the greatest gifts he ever received!He was preceded in death by his parents, son Bret, and sister Betty Brown. He is survived by wife Debbie of Osgood, sons Chad Edward and Mark Alan (Vanessa) both of Osgood, son Brad Lee of Columbus, daughter April McQueen of Versailles, brother J. C. (Carolyn) Brown of Osgood, and sister Becky (Ron) Sutton of Holton, along with 12 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. A visitation will be at Neal’s Funeral Home in Osgood on Thursday, April 27, 2017 from 4-7 p.m. The funeral service will also be at Neal’s Funeral Home on Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11 a.m., with doors opening at 9 a.m., followed by burial at New Marion Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family request memorials are made out to the New Marion Cemetery in care of the funeral home. Services entrusted to Neal’s Funeral Home. www.nealsfuneralhome.net
“This is the job that I always dreamed of doing and I’m beyond excited to have the chance to lead the club long term,” Solskjaer said.“From the first day I arrived, I felt at home at this special club. It was an honour to be a Manchester United player, and then to start my coaching career here.“The last few months have been a fantastic experience.”When Solskjaer took charge, United were sixth in the Premier League and 11 points off the top four.But they have lost only once in 13 league games since – at Arsenal this month – and are now two points behind the London club, who occupy the final Champions League qualifying spot.Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said Solskjaer’s appointment was “richly deserved”.“Since coming in as caretaker manager in December, the results Ole has delivered speak for themselves,” he said.“More than just performances and results, Ole brings a wealth of experience, both as a player and as a coach, coupled with a desire to give young players their chance and a deep understanding of the culture of the club.”Solskjaer became the first United manager to win his first six league games, beating a record held by Sir Matt Busby.United reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time since 2014 when they overturned a 2-0 first-leg deficit thanks to a stoppage-time penalty at Paris St-Germain this month.Solskjaer’s assistant Mike Phelan still has a contract with Central Coast Mariners in Australia, although it is anticipated he will also stay on at Old Trafford. (BBC)Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Manchester United have appointed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as permanent manager on a three-year contract.The Norwegian, 46, arrived at Old Trafford on an interim basis in December to replace Jose Mourinho.Solskjaer spent 11 seasons as a United player, scoring the winning goal in the 1999 Champions League final.