GECOM legal advice appears in line with the law – former GCCI President

first_img…Commissioner says advice being vilified because it goes against agenda for delaying electionsThe recent legal opinion by the Guyana Elections Commission’s (GECOM’s) Legal Officer that the expired voters’ list should be refreshed without house-to-house registration continues to divide opinions. According to a former elections observer on behalf of the Private Sector, the opinion does follow what is set out in the law.GECOM Legal Officer Excellence DazzelMaking an appearance on Globespan 24×7 live show in New York on Sunday, former Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) President and election observer, Vishnu Doerga noted that having looked at the advice the legal officer offered and then comparing it with his own research, it appears in line with what the law prescribes.“I’ve looked at that particular piece of advice and in my research, it seemed to be in alignment with what is called for in the legislations,” Doerga said. However, he also noted that if there are still doubts about the accuracy of the legal opinion offered by the legal officer, all GECOM has to do is conduct an inquiry.“So again, if we have any fear that it is not so, we should have some inquiry in terms of how we should go about coming to these conclusions. Whenever any company hires a lawyer, it is their responsibility to do their due diligence to ensure this lawyer is both competent and is acting in their best interest.”Panellists on the Globespan show (from left) GECOM Commissioner Sase Gunraj, Economist Sase Singh and former GCCI President Vishnu Doerga GECOM Legal Officer Excellence Dazzel“If at any point in time there is any doubt, in a company it’s simpler. You either let go of the lawyer and go through the process again or in a larger company, you might do an investigation,” he said.Doerga acknowledged that as the CEO of a company, there might be times when he wants things to go a certain way. But he added that if the laws do not allow for that and he is advised in accordance with the law by his legal counsel, then he has to understand and take the requisite action.VilificationGECOM Commissioner Sase Gunraj also made an appearance on the show on Sunday. According to him, Legal Officer Excellence Dazzel is catching flak for tendering the legal advice that recommended Claims and Objections because it goes contrary to the agenda to delay elections.“Myself and my fellow Commissioners have been asking from day one, can we have a plan for the holding of elections that does not include house-to-house registration. Because it is my considered view that the refreshing of the list does not require house-to-house registration,” he said.“That explains why so much harsh words are being directed towards the legal officer. All kinds of motives are being imputed to her. And the only reason for that, I am sure, is because she tendered a view that does not accord with certain members of the Commission. Simple. So the opinion is bastardised and they’re attempting to crucify her for saying that.”Responding to questions from viewers on whether the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) can compel GECOM to hold elections without house-to-house registration, the Commissioner responded in the affirmative.“The courts are the guardian of the Constitution. They have the responsibility to interpret and make orders that they see in keeping with the tenets of the law. It has always been my contention that house-to-house registration is a policy decision and a policy decision cannot take precedence over the law.”“So the answer to that question is yes. I believe that GECOM can be ordered to conduct the elections without the need for house-to-house registration,” Gunraj added.Last week Tuesday, Dazzel’s legal opinion was tabled at a statutory meeting of GECOM. In the opinion, she set out that “based on (election laws), the list must be updated bi-annually by adding persons who are now qualified to be registered, to that list and those who are no longer qualified to be registered, to be taken off that list.”This runs counter to the arguments made by the Government-nominated Commissioners on GECOM that a new list was required through house-to-house registration. In fact, a United Kingdom (UK)-based Guyanese has gone to the courts over the exercise, arguing that if it goes forward, she will be disenfranchised. In fact, the Opposition has contended that many more will be in the same predicament.last_img read more

Redknapp disappointed to lose out to West Ham after trying to sign striker

first_imgQPR manager Harry Redknapp admits it was a blow to miss out on Carlton Cole, who is set to re-sign for West Ham in the coming days.The former Chelsea striker was released by Hammers boss Sam Allardyce during the summer and then failed to prove his fitness when subsequently given another chance to earn a contract.Rangers were therefore hopeful of convincing Cole to join them in the wake of injuries to forwards Andy Johnson and Bobby Zamora, but were left disappointed when he was offered a return to Upton Park after all.“I was interested in Carlton Cole but he’s signed for West Ham,” said Redknapp.“The situation is that we’ve got one striker, Charlie Austin. Where are you going to find someone? It’s difficult.“I wanted Carlton but he’s been at West Ham so is going [back] there, and finding someone on loan is hard.”See also:Redknapp unsure whether Chevanton is the answer to QPR’s striker shortage 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Froch claims Groves rejected rematch offer

first_imgCarl Froch claims George Groves has rejected an offer worth more than £1m to face him in a rematch.The Hammersmith man’s challenge for Froch’s WBA and IBF world titles in November ended in controversial circumstances when he was stopped in the ninth round.Groves was ahead, had floored Froch earlier in the fight and appeared to be well capable of continuing when referee Howard Foster halted the contest after a flurry of shots thrown by the champion.There has since been a clamour for the pair to meet again – but Nottingham’s Froch says he is now likely to fight Mexican Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr.Froch kept his titles after Groves was stopped.In a statement, Froch said: “There has been plenty of speculation over the last few weeks regarding my future.“As it stands we are looking closely at two options: George Groves and Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr.“Yesterday, we made a seven-figure offer to George Groves for a second fight that would have seen him earn around double that of the first. Disappointingly, George rejected this offer.“I understand the demand for the Groves fight in the UK, but also the demand in the US for the Chavez fight.“Talks are ongoing and no doubt some further news will break soon. I’m happy to fight anyone, as I have done throughout my entire career.”See also:Heartbreak for Groves in world title clashFroch insists ref was right to stop fightPromoter predicts Froch-Groves rematchGroves: I’ll bounce back and be championGroves’ trainer reveals he had reservations about fight refereeGutted Groves says he proved he belongs at the top levelFroch ordered to face Groves in rematchFroch-Groves rematch will be at WembleyGroves vows to avenge ‘stonewall robbery’Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Anthony Davis’ 44 points, 18 rebounds help Pelicans top Thunder

first_img“He’s a great player; it takes a team to stop him,” guard Terrance Ferguson said. “We really didn’t focus on that tonight and we let our players go one-on-one against him.”Davis scored 18 of his points in the third quarter, when New Orleans went in front for good in a competitive game that included 12 ties, 17 lead changes and no lead larger than nine points.TIP-INSThunder: Westbrook was assessed a technical foul in the third quarter by official David Guthrie for appearing to argue that a foul should have been called on his missed layup. … Westbrook blocked layup attempts by Pelicans rookie guard Frank Jackson twice. … Jerami Grant committed fouls off the ball twice in the first two minutes of the third quarter, at which point he had five fouls for the game and was subbed out. He did not return until 7:50 remained.Pelicans: Forward Nikola Mirotic sat out after injuring his right ankle during Monday night’s loss at Boston. … Guard E’Twaun Moore also sat out with a strained muscle in his lower leg. … Combined, Mirotic and Moore have been averaging 31.4 points per game. … Randle has scored at least 20 points in six straight. … Darius Miller scored 10 points. … With Moore out, Jackson was recalled from the G League and scored eight points in 19 minutes off the bench.PAINT PROWESSDavis and Randle helped New Orleans outscore the Thunder 74-48 in the paint. Holiday also was able to score his share inside on dribble drives.“I’m getting in the paint, AD’s already in the paint and so is Ju’,” Holiday said. “To be able to stop that is pretty tough.”DEEP TROUBLEOklahoma City shot 48.3 percent, but missed 30 of 43 from 3-point range. SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis dunks in the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Oklahoma City Thunder in New Orleans, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2018. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)NEW ORLEANS — Anthony Davis smiled slightly and joked about his relative youth when the topic of his heavy workload came up.His nearly 40 minutes on the court against Oklahoma City was hardly an anomaly this season, but Davis isn’t ready to plead for more rest yet.ADVERTISEMENT Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño LATEST STORIES View comments PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Lacson: 2019 budget delay due to P75-B House ‘insertion’ Davis scored 44 points and grabbed 18 rebounds, and the inconsistent New Orleans Pelicans narrowly held on to defeat the Thunder 118-114 on Wednesday night.“Whatever coach needs me to do, the team needs me to do to win, that’s what I’m going to do,” said Davis, who has averaged about 37 minutes for a team that has played an NBA-high 30 games so far this season. “I’m 25 years old. So, ask me about five years from now.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefJrue Holiday had 20 points and 10 assists, and Julius Randle added 22 for New Orleans, which has alternated wins and losses in its past 10 games.“It was a big win for us,” Davis said. “We’ve got to put a string of wins together and of course it starts tonight. (Oklahoma City) was the No. 1 team in the West coming into tonight and a team that’s rolling. They’ve got a lot of great players on their team. We tried to make sure this game was about us and make sure we get back to what we do.” Paul George had 25 points and 11 rebounds, and Dennis Schroder scored 24 points for Oklahoma City, which came in having won five of its previous six. Russell Westbrook had 20 points and four steals but did not appear as eager as usual to shoot, hitting 8 of 16 shots. Steven Adams also scored 20.New Orleans seemed in control, leading 116-109 with less than 1:20 left when consecutive turnovers led to five quick Thunder points. Westbrook scored on a fast break that he initiated by breaking up Holiday’s pass. Then another Westbrook steal during Holiday’s drive led to George’s fast-break layup as he was fouled.After Davis’ missed a driving floater, Oklahoma City had an unusual possession in which no player seemed inclined to shoot, and a series of passes led to Westbrook’s late-shot-clock 3 attempt, which rimmed out. Randle was fouled after his rebound, but missed two free throws to give the Thunder another chance.Westbrook again elected not to shoot, and Alex Abrines’ 3 for the lead rimmed out. Solomon Hill, who had eight points, came down with his seventh rebound and made both foul shots with less than a second left to seal the victory.Davis was dominant throughout, dunking seven times, including several times on crowd-pleasing alley-oops, to go with a 3 and an array of mid-range floaters and jumpers.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Kings sizzle with 19 3-pointers to torch Timberwolves MOST READ “We really moved the ball well, and they really collapsed the paint with Davis, Randle, and (Cheick) Diallo,” Donovan said. “This really left us with a lot of good quality 3-point shots, and we didn’t make those at a high enough level.”QUOTABLE“It’s not like we depend on them to carry the load. They are the load. It’s who we’re going to go to,” Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry said when asked about Davis, Randle and Holiday combining for 86 points.UP NEXTThunder: Visit Denver on Friday.Pelicans: Host Miami on Sunday.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more