18SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr 2015 is almost over and it certainly has been an interesting year. Between Black Monday, Donald Trump’s Republican presidential candidacy and the Volkswagen scandal, there’s a lot to learn about the economy and your money. Here are the top 41 events of 2015 and what personal finance lessons you can learn from them.1. Interest Rate Hike TalkThroughout 2015, investors and consumers have been waiting with bated breath for the forthcoming interest rate hike. But while the Federal Reserve has said they might raise interest rates in December, the truth of the matter is you don’t know when rates will change.Interest rates affect every aspect of American finance from the government’s budget down to your personal checking account. “Interest rates affect consumers because people use debt to fuel purchases. When rates are low it’s a great time to get a loan or use a credit card,” said Tiffany Welka, vice president of VFG Associates. For consumers on tight budgets, she suggested reviewing your finances to see how a potential rate increase could affect your finances. continue reading »
By the way, the exact number of renters who have used HBOR’s credit line so far is a business secret, but as we unofficially find out, a total of about 50 renters used this credit line to finance the work of private renters. More on that in the attachment. Source: Novi List / Cover photo: Apartment Pinja, Cres / Booking.com An education in tourism was held on the island of Cres so that Cres renters could better prepare for the upcoming season and new tourist trends, which are jointly organized by the Cres Tourist Board and the Cres Landlords Association. Namely, it is HBOR’s credit line for renters, in which the Ministry of Tourism subsidizes one percentage point of interest, so that renters can get a loan with an interest rate of two percent per year and a one-year grace period. However, according to the proposal of the mayor of Cres, the city would join this credit line and subsidize the remaining two percent, which would make loans for Cres renters interest-free. Vesna Bartolović, head of HBOR’s regional office for Primorje and Gorski kotar, who presented the new credit line of the Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Renato Kraljev, a well-known Croatian chef, spoke about the formation of menus based on indigenous dishes and groceries and Nedo Pinezić, the first man of family accommodation in Croatia. RELATED NEWS: HOW MANY RENTERS HAVE USED THE CREDIT LINE TO FINANCE THE WORK OF PRIVATE RENTERS? The news that resonated from the workshop was the proposal of the mayor of Cres, Kristijan Jurjak, to include Cres with a subsidy for loans to renters, which would provide Cres renters with interest-free loans to raise the quality of accommodation, writes Novi List.
Yemen’s separatists signed a power-sharing deal in Riyadh last November that quelled a battle — dubbed a “civil war within a civil war” — for the south that had in August seen them seize control of the second city of Aden.The Riyadh pact quickly became defunct, failing to meet deadlines for key measures including the formation of a new cabinet with equal representation for southerners, and the reorganisation of military forces. The STC announced in its statement that it was declaring “self-governance in the south starting midnight on Saturday April 25th, 2020.”A self governing committee will start its work according to a list of tasks assigned by the council’s presidency,” it said. Aden residents reported heavy deployments of STC forces in the city and a separatist source told AFP they had set up checkpoints “at all government facilities, including the central bank and port of Aden”.Military vehicles drove through the city with STC flags flying aloft.The political landscape in the south is complex, and despite the STC’s declaration some southern cities said they did not recognise the call to self-rule and would remain aligned with the central government.Yemen’s Foreign Minister Mohammad al-Hadhrami said the STC move was “a continuation of the armed rebellion last August and a declaration of rejection” of the Riyadh agreement.Tens of thousands of civilians have been killed over the past five years in the war between the government and the Huthi rebels.Earlier this month, Yemen reported its first case of coronavirus in Hadramawt, a southern government-controlled province, raising fears of an outbreak.Compounding the country’s troubles, at least 21 people were killed in flash flooding this month, with Aden’s streets submerged and homes destroyed.The UAE, like the STC, has a zero tolerance policy towards the Muslim Brotherhood and Yemen’s Brotherhood-influenced Al-Islah party, which has representatives in the internationally recognised government.Last August, deadly clashes broke out between the government and STC forces who seized control of Aden, ousting unionist forces who had set up base there when President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi fled the Huthi-held capital Sanaa in February 2015.The tussle for control of the south exposed divisions between the coalition partners — Saudi Arabia, which backs the government, and the United Arab Emirates, a backer and funder of the STC.The Riyadh agreement had been welcomed as preventing the complete break-up of Yemen, and hailed as a possible stepping stone towards ending the wider conflict in Yemen.But the cracks soon emerged, with complaints over food shortages in the south, a sharp depreciation of the currency, and a lack of funds to pay public sector employees. The STC’s statement Sunday said there had been a marked deterioration of public services, which “was clearly reflected in the latest torrential rains that caused the people in Aden deep suffering”.The government was using its powers as “a weapon to bring the southerners to kneel,” it said.While the government and the STC are technically allies in the long war against the Huthis, the secessionists believe the south should be an independent state — as it was before unification in 1990.Topics : The Southern Transitional Council (STC) accused the government of failing to perform its duties and of “conspiring” against the southern cause, and said self-governance had begun at midnight. The government condemned the move and said the separatists — who have long agitated for independence in the south — would be responsible for the “catastrophic and dangerous” outcome.The breakdown between the one-time allies comes as a Saudi-led coalition, which backs the internationally recognised government in a battle against the Iran-backed Huthi rebels, has extended a unilateral ceasefire aimed at fending off the coronavirus pandemic — a move rejected by the Huthis.
Last year’s 8-5 record was anything but indicative of what this year’s edition of the Badger football team is capable of doing. Despite a loss to Illinois this weekend, the Badgers have competed at a high level all season.Before the loss, the Badgers were rolling with an undefeated record. As they prepare for a critical second-half slate that includes matchups against The Ohio State University and Iowa, the team is aware these games will be critical for their playoff hopes.Much of Wisconsin’s success can be credited to junior Heisman hopeful running back Jonathan Taylor. The 2018 Doak Walker Award winner for Best Running Back has picked up right where he left off in the first seven games of the 2019 campaign, scampering for 957 yards and 15 touchdowns.On top of that, Taylor has developed as a receiver, surpassing his receiving yards total from last year and managing to find the endzone four times.Taylor’s best performance of the year came against Kent State, running for 186 yards and totaling five all-purpose touchdowns.Football: Wisconsin rolls through Kent State en route to fifth straight victoryThe No. 8 University of Wisconsin football team (5-0, 2-0 Big Ten) defeated Kent State (2-3, 1-0 MAC) at Camp Read…Taylor’s dominance hasn’t been the only story for the Badger offense. After a mediocre 2018 season, junior quarterback Jack Coan kept defenses on its heels and provided balance to the offense. In his first seven starts, Coan has managed the game masterfully, ranking second in the NCAA in completion percentage.Following the 38–0 win against Michigan State, Coan credited his improvement this season to his teammates.“I just got a lot of great guys around me,” Coan said. “They are really making plays and just making me look good.”Football: Five takeaways from Wisconsin’s pummeling of MichiganThe University of Wisconsin football team welcomed Head Coach Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines to Madison on Saturday and Read…On the outside, Quintez Cephus and AJ Taylor have used their game-breaking athleticism when given the opportunity. Following his return, Cephus has burned defenses for 353 yards and three touchdowns through seven games. Taylor and Coan have also found chemistry, connecting for 16 receptions and 158 total yards.“It all started in the spring and winter workouts,” AJ Taylor said. “We were throwing all of the time, and we’ve got a pretty good relationship. We also got a little bit of a party planned for him when his birthday comes around.”These great relationships, combined with Wisconsin’s variety of offensive weapons, make it difficult for defenses to game plan against the Badgers.On the other side of the ball, Wisconsin’s stifling defense complements their balanced offense. Wisconsin ranks first in the country in points allowed and yards per game with 7.6 and 193.9, respectively. The opportunistic defense has forced 14 net turnovers, good for sixth-best in the country.The linebacking trio of Zack Baun, Chris Orr and Jack Sanborn has been lethal, combining for 108 tackles, 18 sacks and five forced fumbles. Baun is a nightmare for offensive tackles, using his speed to edge rush quarterbacks for 6.5 sacks through seven games.Baun credits friendly competition to the rise of the defense’s play.“I think competition between anyone is good. Whenever there is competition, it builds more character and advances everyone’s play,” Baun said.Football: Four takeaways from Badgers’ fourth shutout win of the seasonThe No. 6 University of Wisconsin football team (6-0, 3-0 Big Ten) welcomed the Michigan State Spartans (4-3, 2-2) to Read…This week’s matchup against The Ohio State University brings back some tortured memories for Badger fans. Wisconsin has lost six consecutive games to the Buckeyes, including two losses in the Big Ten championship, one of which was a 59-0 thumping that propelled the Buckeyes to the College Football Playoff. The last Wisconsin win against Ohio State came almost a decade ago at Camp Randall in 2010.To end the cursed streak, Wisconsin’s game plan must focus on stopping dual-threat Heisman candidate Justin Fields. In just six games, Fields has torched opposing defenses, throwing for 1,492 yards, 22 touchdowns and just one interception.Junior running back J.K. Dobbins is as dynamic as they come. Dobbins is well on his way to his third consecutive 1,000 yard season and has eclipsed over 170 rushing yards in three separate games.The Badgers have yet to play a ranked opponent on the road and will be welcomed to the “Horseshoe” from approximately 104,944 raucous Buckeye fans. It will be interesting to see how Coan and the offense handle the noise.The other ranked matchup in Wisconsin’s remaining five games is a home game against the No. 20 ranked Iowa Hawkeyes. The Badgers have dominated the matchup, winning six of their last seven games against Iowa dating back to 2010.Iowa is led by senior quarterback and three-year starter Nate Stanley. Stanley has been solid for the Hawkeyes this year, throwing for nine touchdowns and achieving a 62.3% completion percentage. Despite this, Stanley has struggled against ranked opponents and threw three interceptions in Iowa’s road matchup against Michigan.Football: Previewing Big Ten West before major conference gamesThe University of Wisconsin football team (3-0) has looked like a complete team through their first few games of 2019. Read…Over the past 10 years, Wisconsin football has been one of the nation’s most consistent teams. Since 2009, the Badgers hold the country’s 6th-highest winning percentage at 77.7% with an impressive 98-28 record.Even though the program has appeared in four conference championship games and six New Year’s Six bowls, the team still has not appeared in a College Football Playoff. This final stretch will be pivotal for the Badgers’ hopes and will dictate whether this year is different from years past.
“I think everybody has a contract, and we’re very aware of players who are in the last year of the deal,” Vrabel said. “Marcus is obviously one of those. When you make a commitment to the QB you want to make sure that this is going to be your guy for the next 7-10 years when you look at the percentage of the cap quarterbacks are driving.”Mariota completed 68.9% of his passes and threw for 11 touchdowns, along with eight interceptions, in 14 games for Tennessee last season. He also added two scores on the ground. Related News Titans coach Mike Vrabel reiterates Ryan Tannehill’s role with team The Titans finished with a 9-7 record and missed the playoffs.“Nobody is more proud of what Marcus has done in the offseason than me,” Vrabel said. “He’s come back stronger, bigger, with greater understanding of what we’re doing offensively, being able to communicate it to players (on) the field. I don’t look at the lack of a long-term extension as a negative, though that’s what people try to make it.”Tennessee originally selected Mariota out of Oregon with the No. 2 pick in the 2015 draft. However, he has registered just a 27-28 record as a starter over his four NFL seasons. The Titans have not committed to Marcus Mariota long term.Tennessee picked up the fifth-year option on the 25-year-old quarterback’s rookie contract, but the sides have yet to agree to a new deal. Titans coach Mike Vrabel discussed Mariota’s future with the team during a recent interview with the MMQB. Titans’ Adam Humphries explains decision to pass on Patriots “I know Marcus’s demeanor and that won’t change whether he’s on a 10-year contract or it’s up after the season,” Vrabel said. “He’s that type of person. So, I know it’ll work because of how he is.”The Titans are set to begin training camp next week.
Man City hit eight in Watford demolition, Spurs rocked by LeicesterLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City powered to their record Premier League win as the champions scored five times within 18 first half minutes of an incredible 8-0 thrashing of Watford, while Leicester enjoyed a VAR-assisted 2-1 victory over Tottenham on Saturday.Inspired by Bernardo Silva’s hat-trick, Pep Guardiola’s side ripped woeful Watford to pieces at the Etihad Stadium, eclipsing a 7-0 success against Norwich in 2013 which stood as their previous biggest top-flight win.Although City fell one goal short of equalling the biggest Premier League margin of victory — Manchester United’s 9-0 demolition of Ipswich in 1995 — their swaggering display was the perfect way to erase the bitter taste from last weekend’s shock defeat at Norwich.Second-placed City move to within two points of leaders Liverpool, who face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.“When you shoot on target five times for five goals — the quality of players we had made the difference,” Guardiola said.“What I like the most is normally when it’s 5-0 at half time the second half is not serious, it’s boring but we did the opposite and we were more aggressive and made a very good second half.“People still don’t understand, journalists, pundits, former players, losing games is part of life. We can lose the games but the important thing is the approach and how we react.”City had crushed Watford 6-0 in last season’s FA Cup final and they picked up where they left off at Wembley by ending the match as a contest less than halfway through the opening period.David Silva tapped home the opener seconds after kick-off, before Sergio Aguero coolly doubled their lead from the spot six minutes later.Making light of winger Raheem Sterling’s absence, they made it three in the 12th minute when Riyad Mahrez’s free-kick hit Tom Cleverley in the head and deflected past Watford stopper Ben Foster.Bernardo scored his first of the game in the 15th minute and Nicolas Otamendi ended the first-half scoring shortly afterwards, before Portuguese Bernardo bagged his treble within 15 minutes of the restart and Kevin De Bruyne completed the thrashing late on. – Leicester on the rise –At the King Power Stadium, Leicester proved their credentials to gatecrash the top four as they came from behind to beat Tottenham.Harry’s Kane’s improvised 29th-minute opener as he stumbled before flicking home put Tottenham ahead.However, the game swung Leicester’s way after Spurs defender Serge Aurier’s goal midway through the second half was ruled out for the finest of offsides by VAR.The hosts built on that immediately as Ricardo Pereira equalised before James Maddison struck the winner from long range five minutes from time.Tottenham have now won just two of their first seven games of the season in all competitions and Mauricio Pochettino admitted the VAR controversy had played a role in their latest flop.Pochettino bemoaned the momentum swing given to Leicester by the long stoppage in play prior to Aurier’s strike being ruled out for a marginal offside against Son Heung-min.“The emotion of the game changed. The belief it gave to Leicester made things happen differently in the last 10 minutes,” Pochettino said.“I’m only going to say that we all accept that system in the game and now I am not going to complain.”Burnley beat Norwich 2-0 at Turf Moor, with New Zealand striker Chris Wood scoring in the 10th and 14th minutes.Sheffield United piled pressure on Everton manager Marco Silva, whose side were booed off after a 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park, the damage done by Yerry Mina’s 40th-minute own goal and Lys Mousset’s 79th-minute strike.Struggling Newcastle were also subjected to jeers after a goalless draw against Brighton at St James’ Park, which featured large swathes of empty seats as fans turned their backs on a team with only one win this season.Share on: WhatsApp