Jones Beach Fireworks Show to Return this Independence Day

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Jones Beach State Park is quickly regaining its appeal as the place to be to celebrate the holidays on Long Island.After bringing back the popular Jones Beach Holiday Lights Spectacular last year, New York State announced that the famous fireworks show at the iconic South Shore beach is also returning after a five-year hiatus. The July 4th Fireworks Spectacular, which once drew thousands of revelers from Long Island and around the region, will be on full display this Independence Day.“What better place to celebrate America’s birthday than at one of the most iconic and landmark state destinations,” said Rose Harvey, commissioner of the State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.Gov. Andrew Cuomo, in a statement announcing the event’s return, said his administration was “proud” to revive the tradition—once a staple event for LI families. Jones Beach last hosted the dazzling pyrotechnic event in 2009. The show was cancelled in 2010 due to monetary and staffing constraints.The announced revival comes days after Jones Beach held its annual Bethpage Air Show, which featured stunt pilots performing impressive aerobatic maneuvers as revelers looked on from the beach. Hundreds of thousands attended the two-day event.Astoria Bank will sponsor this year’s fireworks show, officials said.Jones Beach itself is in the middle of a multimillion-dollar revitalization project. New bathrooms in Field 6 were installed just in time for the air show and the central mall’s mosaic was refurbished for the first time in three decades. The show’s revival is part of a state plan to invest $900 million in the state parks system by 2020.The 30-minute fireworks show is scheduled for Saturday, July 4 at 9:30 p.m.last_img read more

O’Neill hails importance of draw

first_img O’Neill’s men came close to going top of Group F as they heaped on the pressure in the final moments of the 0-0 stalemate at Windsor Park. Only visiting goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu prevented them taking all three points, denying Jonny Evans just before the break before saving from Kyle Lafferty and Oliver Norwood in the dying minutes. Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill believes his side have all but guaranteed themselves a Euro 2016 play-off place after drawing with Romania. “I felt it was probably the tensest game yet, there was tension there from the outset,” he said. “Both teams stifled each other: we pressed them very well and they did likewise to us. It became a game neither side wanted to lose. “Both teams were determined not to be beaten and the games may well continue in that fashion. They will all probably be decided by finest of margins from now on.” Press Association A share of the spoils still leaves them with 13 points, two ahead of Hungary in third and seven in front of the Faroe Islands, who have stunned Greece twice to sit fourth. O’Neill still has his heart set on automatic qualification but believes the play-off that comes with third spot is effectively in the bag. “With a little more care in the box or a little more precision with the finishing we could have won the game but this is a big point,” said O’Neill. “It cements our place in the top three I think and that leaves it all to play for when we face the Faroes and Hungary in September. “I’ve said all along 18 points is the target and this is another point towards that. What is great is that we’re still only one point behind Romania. “We’ve managed to get points on board early, winning difficult games in Greece and Hungary and we’ve followed that with seven points from nine at home. “We saw here close to our strongest team going head to head with the side that is widely recognised as strongest in the group and I don’t think there was anything between the sides at all.” O’Neill believes this top-of-the-table clash was the most nervy he has experienced in the campaign – with the rivals constantly weighing up the risk and reward of pushing for victory – but expects plenty more of the same in the next four fixtures. last_img read more

Florida Schools and Colleges Not part of Phase One Re-opening

first_imgThe phase-one re-opening of Florida begins today, but that does not include schools and colleges. Students will continue to learn on-line at least until the fall.Palm Beach State College is a public college in Lake Worth, Florida. It has five campuses which won’t be opening until the fall due to COVID-19.Palm Beach State College President Ava L. Parker is the first female president in the history of the institution, which opened in 1933 as Florida’s first public community college. She says the majority of courses are now being offered on-line except for classes such as welding which simply can’t be taught on a computer.The College now offers more than 130 programs of study, including bachelor’s and associate degrees, professional certificates and career training. Serving 49,000 students annually. Those students who are graduating in the fall will be able to take part in a virtual graduation and then a formal ceremony will be held in August.Parker says that face-to-face learning will resume in the fall as well.Under President Parker’s stewardship, the college opened in 5th campus in Loxahatchee Groves in 2016 and reached its highest enrollment in the institution’s history. Palm Beach State College enrolls nearly 49,000 students in over 100 programs of study including bachelor of applied science, associate in arts and associate in science degree programs, and short-term certificates, as well as continuing education and avocational courses. Parker also wants students to know that Palm Beach State College has received federal funds that she can pass on to students in need. Listen to the full interview with Ava Parker here.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Ava-Parker-Palm-Beach-State-College.mp3last_img read more