Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York James MunizThe fugitive CEO of a Hicksville-based modeling agency accused of defrauding dozens of clients out of more than $250,000 was apprehended Tuesday in Florida and is facing extradition back to Long Island.James Muniz, who prosecutors said was staying with relatives in Hialeah, Fla., is facing 21 charges in Nassau County, including 20 counts of grand larceny and one count of scheme to defraud.Three of the 44-year-old Roslyn man’s employees had surrendered to authorities last month on similar charges. They include 26-year-old Jennifer Santiago of Queens, 31-year-old Jennifer Diaz-Domenech of Brooklyn and 42-year-old Michelle Alperin-Smith of Nesconset.Prosecutors alleged Muniz’s company, New Faces Development Center, Inc. and Model Talent Development Corp., which closed in November, had scouts tell victims they had the “look” to succeed in modeling or acting, would not be charged for the companies’ services and that only a few were offered such opportunities through the agencies—but scouts signed up anyone who’d pay for contracts costing $550 to $3,000. Both companies are facing the same charges as the four suspects.The New York Attorney General’s office, which sued New Faces for $250,000 in restitution in 2006 when it was owned by Muniz’ ex-wife, opened a new investigation into the company last year before the case was consolidated with a similar probe by the Nassau County District Attorney’s office.Muniz is being held in a Miami-Dade County jail until he is extradited to New York. He and the three employees face up to seven years in prison, if convicted. Each company faces fines of up to $10,000, plus possible restitution.Since the arrests were announced, investigators have received about 300 phone calls from other clients of the modeling agency, leading to 85 formal complaints that are now being reviewed.The investigation is continuing, and anyone who thinks they may have been similarly victimized should contact DA Rice’s Complaints Unit at 516-571-3505 or the Attorney General’s Office at 516-248-3301.
London, United Kingdom | AFP | Jose Mourinho says his time at Manchester United is “a closed chapter” and he is only interested in beating them when he takes his in-form side to Old Trafford on Wednesday.It is the new Tottenham manager’s first return to the touchline at United’s home ground since his sacking by the club last December.“This is a closed chapter for me,” said Mourinho, who has won all three of his matches in charge of Spurs. “I left the club, I took my time to process everything that happened, I took my time to prepare myself for the next challenge.“Honestly, United for me is in my book of experiences, it’s in my history book.”United are struggling under Mourinho’s successor, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, but go into the game just two points behind fifth-placed Spurs.“It is not for me to analyse United now,” Mourinho said at his pre-match press conference. “I analyse them as an opponent, how they play. How can we beat them? How can they beat us? For me that is the important thing.” Jose Mourinho Mourinho is excited about the prospect of returning to Old Trafford.He said: “I feel good, I like to play big matches, I like to play against the best teams and go back to a place where I was happy.“I have a great relationship with the Manchester United supporters. I went back as a pundit and I was humbled by such a beautiful reception.“Tomorrow I go back as the coach of the team that will try and beat Manchester United.“I understand that what they want is the exact opposite of what I want. Of course during the match I expect them to forget me.” Share on: WhatsApp
Tags: Annabell Fuller, Bel Wardle, Curtis Cup, Emily Toy, Lily May Humphreys Four English players have been named in Great Britain and Ireland’s initial squad for next year’s Curtis Cup at Conwy in Wales.Roehampton’s Annabell Fuller, Lily May Humphreys from Stoke by Nayland, Emily Toy from Carylon Bay (pictured above) and Prestbury’s Bel Wardle have all been included in captain Elaine Ratcliffe’s preliminary squad.There are three players from Ireland in the pool – Olivia Mehaffey from Royal County Down, Julie McCarthy from Forrest Little and Lurgan’s Annabel Wilson.Scottish trio Hannah Darling of Broomieknowe, Hazel MacGarvie playing out of Royal Troon and Shannon McWilliam from Aboyne complete the line-up.Toy, Darling, Wilson, McGarvey, McCarthy and Wardle are all potential Curtis Cup debutants. Humphreys and Fuller represented Europe in the recent Ping Junior Solheim Cup on the King’s course at Gleneagles.Humphreys, Wardle and Toy were also part of the GB & I team for this year’s Vagliano Trophy match against the Continent of Europe at Royal St George’s.“We have a strong pool of players to choose from throughout GB & I and I’m delighted with the ten players in the initial squad,” said Ratcliffe.“Each player’s performances and results will be monitored closely over the coming months and we will be looking for each of them to maintain a high standard as they try to secure their places in the team.“There are many other talented players who can be added to this squad over the next few months,” she added.The final Curtis Cup team is due to be announced on May 11, 2020 and will include the two golfers place highest on the Women’s World Amateur Ranking. They are currently Mehaffey and Humphreys.A further six players will be selected by the R&A Women’s Selection. Up to four non-travelling reserves will also be announced.The 41st Curtis Cup match will be played from Friday June 12 to Sunday June 14 at Conwy where GB & I will be bidding to regain the trophy after last year’s 17-3 defeat in the United States.Photograph credit: Leaderboard 17 Sep 2019 English quartet given Curtis Cup boost