Donegal newspaper owners ordered to pay €192,000 to Waterbus directors

first_imgDamages of €96,000 each has been awarded by the High Court to two directors of a waterbus service operating in Donegal Bay after finding that they were defamed in articles in a local newspaper.Mr Justice Paul McDermott said Daniel Ward and Sean Quinn were entitled to the awards against the Donegal Times Ltd, The Diamond, Donegal town and its editor, Liam Hyland, who wrote the articles. The Irish Examiner reports that both men, the judge found, had suffered “very serious damage” to their respective personal and professional reputations.Mr Ward is the financial controller and Mr Quinn the CEO of Donegal Town Enterprises Scheme Ltd, which operates a leisure boat known as the Donegal Waterbus.Mr Quinn and Mr Ward had brought defamation proceedings against the paper and editor over articles published by the paper in September and October 2013.They claimed the articles defamed them and wrongly alleged they were involved in financial mispractices and mismanagement of monies associated with the Donegal Waterbus.Donegal Town Enterprise Scheme Ltd is a not-for-profit community scheme that promotes marine and tourism activities in and around both Donegal Bay.Mr Justice McDermott said he was satisfied the men had been defamed in the articles. Their good names had been damaged, they had suffered in their communities, and they were entitled to damages, he said.Donegal newspaper owners ordered to pay €192,000 to Waterbus directors was last modified: November 9th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

USDA to host 2018 Farm Bill implementation listening session

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Under Secretary for Farm Production and Conservation Bill Northey announced that USDA is hosting a listening session for initial input on the 2018 Farm Bill. USDA is seeking public input on the changes to existing programs implemented by the Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service and the Risk Management Agency. Each agency will take into account stakeholder input when making discretionary decisions on program implementation.“The 2018 Farm Bill is intended to provide support, certainty and stability to our Nation’s farmers, ranchers and land stewards by enhancing farm support programs, improving crop insurance, maintaining disaster programs, and promoting and supporting voluntary conservation,” said Under Secretary Northey. “We are seeking input from stakeholders on how USDA can streamline and improve program delivery while also enhancing customer service.”The listening session will be held Feb. 26, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. in the Jefferson Auditorium in the South Building located at 14th Street and Independence Ave. S.W. in Washington, D.C.The listening session is open to the public. Participants must register at farmers.gov/farmbill by February 22, 2019, to attend the listening session and are encouraged to provide written comments prior to the listening session. For those orally presenting comments at the listening session, written comments are encouraged to be submitted to regulations.gov by February 22, 2019. Additional written comments will be accepted through March 1, 2019. Comments received will be publicly available on www.regulations.gov.“Truly this is a Farm Bill that improves farm safety net programs, protects federal crop insurance, and preserves strong rural development and research initiatives. At USDA we are eager to hear from our stakeholders on policy recommendations, so we can start working on implementing these important Farm Bill provisions,” said Northey.For more information on the listening session visit farmers.gov/farmbill.last_img read more

The International Property Maintenance Code Governs Existing Buildings

first_imgThe IPMC calls for all buildings to be maintained in the condition they were when they were given a Certificate of Occupancy. This maintenance applies to several aspects of the home including structural integrity, architectural fire and life safety, means of egress as well as sanitary facilities and conditions. Property conditions around the building such as environmental conditions including noxious weeds, proper drainage, rodent harborage and sanitation are regulated as well. Exhaust vents that discharge gasses, steam, vapors, hot air, grease and smoke are regulated to prevent entry into a premise.Roof drainage, window and door condition, insect screens in habitable rooms, food preparation and service areas are also regulated. Flaking or peeling paint must be corrected to maintain the weather protection barrier and avoid water damage. Rubbish and garbage must be properly contained removed regularly. Refrigerator doors must be removed if stored on the premises. Also, light, sanitation, space heating, ventilation, and overcrowding are regulated similar to the IRC. Combustion products must be exhausted with a chimney or vent.last_img read more

SC clears way to deliver graft case verdict in Khaledas absence

first_imgKhaleda Zia file photoThe Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Monday cleared the way to deliver verdict in Zia Charitable Trust graft case in absence of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia, reports UNB.A seven-member bench of the Appellate Division, headed by chief justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, passed the order rejecting a leave-to-appeal petition filed by Khaleda Zia seeking cancellation of the High Court order clearing the way for continuation of the trial proceedings in the case in her absence.Attorney general Mahbubey Alam said now there is no bar to delivering verdict in the case.Earlier on Sunday, the SC fixed today to pass order on the petition.A Special Judge Court installed inside the old central jail is scheduled to deliver its verdict in the Zia Charitable Trust graft case today (Monday).On 14 October, the High Court bench of Justice Obaidul Hasan and Justice SM Kuddus Zaman cleared the way to continuation of the trial proceedings of the graft case against Khaleda in her absence as they rejected a writ petition filed by the BNP chief.On 18 October, a leave-to-appeal petition was filed with the Appellate Division against the High Court order.On 20 September, judge Md Akhtaruzzaman of the Special Judge Court-5 of Dhaka decided to continue the trial proceedings in absence of the main accused.On 27 September, the BNP chairperson filed the writ petition with the High Court challenging a lower court decision.Meanwhile, the special court on 16 October fixed 29 October for delivering the verdict in the corruption case.Khaleda Zia, who has been in jail since her conviction in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case on 8 February, refused to appear before the court during the trial of the Zia Charitable Trust graft case on ‘ security grounds’.Later, the government shifted the court to the jail premises to ensure her safety. Yet, she did not appear before the court. The state counsel appealed to the court to continue the trial proceedings of the case in absence of Khaleda Zia. The court accepted their plea.The case was filed by the Anti-corruption Commission with Tejgaon Police Station in August, 2011, accusing Khaleda and three others of abusing power to raise funds for the trust from unknown sources.last_img read more

Democratic Megadonor Houston Trial Lawyer Steve Mostyn Has Died

first_img Share Pu Ying Huang for The Texas TribuneHouston attorney Steve Mostyn in his office on Sept. 13, 2017.Steve Mostyn, a top Democratic donor and prominent Houston trial lawyer, has died. He was 46.According to a statement released by his wife, Amber, Mostyn died Wednesday after “a sudden onset and battle with a mental health issue.” She did not disclose the cause of death.“Steve was a beloved husband and devoted father who adored his children and never missed any of their sporting activities. He was a true friend, and a faithful fighter for those who did not have a voice,” she said.The statement also said: “If you or a loved one are thinking about suicide, or experiencing a health crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline right now at 1-800-273-8255.”  Asked why no major Democratic candidate for governor had yet emerged, Mostyn said “the problem is if we go and ask someone to run for governor then they expect us to fund them with a tremendous amount of money, and you’re talking about a state that has 20-plus media markets, right? I mean it’s an expensive proposition to do.” “You know we’ll be there to do our part, for sure, and other folks have got to step up to do their part,” Mostyn told the Tribune. “People say I’m not here to do the politics, and I say we’re slowing down on a lot of things. We’re just a little bit slowing down. We were running pretty hard for 20, 25 years.” Mostyn said he had deliberately decreased his political activities in part to encourage other Democratic donors to open their wallets.“We’ve lowered our head down because a lot of times what’s happened is people just think we’re going to do it,” Mostyn said.  “And so we’ve asked other people to do it, and they want to do it, and I want other people to get credit for doing it. I mean this is a giant, giant state. If we were trying to flip Vermont, we’d be done.”Mostyn seemed wistful when he talked about his desire to spend more time with his children and enjoy the simpler side of life.“I want to go watch Friday night football with my son and go to my little girl’s swim meets and I want to do all those things,” Mostyn said. “I’ve got a nephew we raised who’s 19 and he’s off at college, and I’ve got a 16-year-old and I’ve got a 10-year-old. And we’re at the point where, you’re running, running, running, and you look up one day and you say, ‘We’re doing fine, but are we really enjoying the things we want to be enjoying?’ I’m not saying I’m going away anywhere, but we’ve formed these groups and we’re on these boards and certainly we’re there participating with them, but we’ve asked people to — you know, guys, you’ve got to build a broader coalition.” The Mostyns were among the top contributors to former state Sen. Leticia Van de Putte‘s failed 2014 run for lieutenant governor, giving her campaign more than $100,000.“Mine is just shock,” Van de Putte said tearfully Thursday. “He was a very dear friend. He loved his state and he loved his kids. … He felt fervently about Democratic candidates and politics. He will leave a void that will be very difficult to fill,” she said.U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called Mostyn “an extraordinary, luminous person who poured himself into securing justice for the voiceless and underrepresented.”“Our nation has lost a great hero, and the Mostyn family has lost a beloved husband and devoted father,” Pelosi said in a statement.In Amber Mostyn’s statement, she asked those wishing to honor her husband’s life to consider supporting the Mostyn Moreno Foundation, which helps children with special needs, or the Special Olympics of Texas. The Texas Tribune interviewed Mostyn in mid-September right after Hurricane Harvey struck Houston. Mostyn made it clear he was taking a wait-and-see approach on any Harvey-related lawsuits.He was far more effusive about his other passion — politics.Toward the end of the interview, Mostyn candidly spoke of his increasingly diminished role as a Democratic mega-donor. He said he was growing tired of almost single-handedly funding top Democratic candidates in a state hostile to their party. Mostyn is also survived by his daughter, Ava, his son, Mitch and his nephew, Skyler Anderson.Mostyn grew up in Whitehouse, a small town in East Texas, and graduated from the South Texas College of Law. He made his fortune suing insurance companies on behalf of homeowners after hurricanes. He and his wife, also an attorney, have long been considered the state’s most powerful Democratic backers, spending millions on Democratic campaigns in Texas and beyond.But Mostyn didn’t just spend money behind the scenes. He often made his opposition to Republican leaders and policies known in plain and public terms. In 2010, he famously paid for full-page ads in Texas newspapers calling Gov. Rick Perry a “coward” for refusing to debate his Democratic rival, former Houston Mayor Bill White.“Steve was a giant,” Texas Democratic Party Chairman Gilberto Hinojosa said in a statement. “He was the epitome of a Texas Democrat – big, bold, fearless, and caring. He dedicated his professional and personal life to fighting for the little guy.”Mostyn gave more than $2.3 million toward Democrats’ 2014 efforts to elect candidates including Wendy Davis, who ran for governor. In total, he had given Davis more than $3 million over the course of her political career. Since 2000, he had donated more than $24 million to political causes in his name and in his law firm’s name, according to Texas Ethics Commission records.“I am heartbroken,” Davis tweeted Thursday. “Texas has lost an extraordinary person. Steve was a committed and effective fighter for justice, a wonderful husband, father and friend. He leaves behind a lasting impact on everyone who’s life he touched.” last_img read more